so, I think my flock has integrated???, I think??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thegibbys, May 14, 2011.

1. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    So, I have 4 8week olds in a large coop and 18 babies 4week olds, in the Babbie coop. They shared they same coop until 2 weeks ago although in safe seperate sections but visible to each other. We moved the "big girls to the "big girl Coop" 2 weeks ago and kept "the babies" in the "baby coop" which both groups enjoyed the expanded space.

We kept the Babies in an enclosure within the run surrounded by chicken wire, so there was always exposure but safe seperation. Over the last several days we have allowed the babies to come out into the run later in the afternoon for a while, there was a little pecking but mostly chasing, today we increased the time. we let everone out at about noon.

Well guess what happened...... nothing at all! within the hour both groups had intermingled with the occasional chest bump and occasion chase, but soon the big girls were in and out of the little coop, the the babies where in and out of the big coop, there were eatin next to each other, dirt bathin' next to each other and just being chickens.

so, tonight when i went out to check on everyone I kind of thought I would find the babies in the big girl coop. I was wrong.... the big girls are all in the baby coop. they are all mixed together, littles ones between the big ones and it looks so cute........

....but should I move them? should I move the big girls to the other coop? should I move all of them? leave them alone for tonight and tomorrow make sure the baby coop is closed up and see if all go in the big coop? aaaahhhhhh!!!!

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I would leave them alone tonight. Close up the baby coop tomorrow and make sure they all go in the big girl coop.

They all went to the baby coop because that was home for most of their lives.

Good luck!

3. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    does this mean I can relax when I leave them together? I have been keeping a pretty close eye on them. like every 15 minutes or so. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by