so i thought my hen was broody but . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fugly1100, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Fugly1100

Fugly1100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    ok so the other day i noticed one of my hens was sitting on a couple of eggs, so i gathered up all the eggs of the day (10) and put them under her. today when i got off work at 5pm i checked on her and the eggs. she was not sitting on the eggs but she was in the coop, all the eggs felt very warm. do broody hens ever not sit on the eggs? maybe to cool them down? it was up to 74F today so maybe they got too hot? please someone help me! am i wasting my time? [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yep, they jump up and get food and water and go poo, and then go back to the eggs.

3. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    so if i check her in like 30min she should be sitting again? [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    possibly...we never quite know what is going on in those little chicken brains. My broody would leave for up to 30 mins before returning to the nest. I wouldn't worry about her too much. My broodies always seem to know what they are doing.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some broodies stay on the nest pretty much 24/7 - and you literally have to take them off the nest to force them to eat/drink. Other broodies will leave the nest once or twice a day to take a short (usually 15-30 minutes, depending) break. So it could be that. Or it could be that your hen is not fully broody. I've had hens sit for a full day on the nest, and for several hours on other days, but who weren't broody. My BO especially is that way. I think she has broody tendancies, but has never "officially" gone broody. [​IMG]
    Does she growl and puff up when you get near her? Does she flap, growl and act crazy if/when you take her off the nest??

6. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    Quote:no she just got mad and flogged me and ran out of the coop! [​IMG]

7. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    Quote:no she just got mad and flogged me and ran out of the coop! [​IMG]

Sounds like she might be broody [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    ok so i just check on her again and its been a good 45min and she is still not in the nest. if she is only partially sitting will this not ruin the eggs?

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You'll find that each hen comes with her own component of broody skills. Some have been dealt a better hand than others, will do a better job of brooding. A lot of breeds that have been selectively bred to be good egg producers have had that broody instinct bred out of them. Other breeds meant for more ornamental purposes tend to be more broody. Individual results may vary. Meaning that even super-productive breeds like Leghorns & RIR may still have a few individuals retaining that instinct, while those breeds more prone to broodiness will still have their individuals who won't set well.

You'll know a hen is broody when she spends about 23.75 hours a day on the nest, taking a short break once a day to eat, drink, & take a big poop. She'll fluffle up her feathers and spread herself wide over the eggs. When you reach towards her she may growl, screech, and/or peck at you. If you feel up underneath her, she'll have a bare patch on either side of her keel bone.

Some hens seem to just play at being broody. They hear faint voices in their heads that say "sit on it!" and they may stay there for a few hours, or just a day or two, but won't stick with the job.

Check this evening to see if she's back on the nest. If not, the eggs may still be okay to eat, or at least to feed to the dog. If she is broody, you can check other threads for info on how to keep her separated and ensure greater success for her hatch.

10. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    i went ahead and pulled the eggs, no reason to ruin them. When she shows all symptoms ill try again. oh btw how long are eggs good for not refrigerated? (room temp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by