So I thought we had americana chickens but it turns out they aren't because we got 3 easter eggers and other chickens that lay light/dark brown eggs.

ImAChick

Songster
Mar 5, 2021
Michigan
I am not sure because we have beautiful pullets (they aren't a year old yet but just starting to lay eggs..) and they don't lay blue eggs like we were told. I am very upset and confused about all of this. They are about 6 months and no blue eggs. We have for sure one chicken not laying. So the other day we got 16 out of 17 eggs because one doesn't lay and all there was, was 3 green eggs, 4 light brown eggs, and 9 brown eggs.

It's spelled Ameraucana. Ameraucanas always lay blue or green eggs. Easter Eggers can lay blue, green, pink, brown, any color. They are a mutt and not a pure breed so they will sometimes not lay blue like we expected. All my easter eggers lay blue, but that is different in your case. Also :welcome

Yup. I like calling them EE best because LAY people get confused as what is an araucana, ameraucana. When ever I ask people especially a NEW chicken owner what kind of chicken they have and say araucana, I automatically assume it is an EE.

Last edited:
I am not sure because we have beautiful pullets (they aren't a year old yet but just starting to lay eggs..) and they don't lay blue eggs like we were told. I am very upset and confused about all of this. They are about 6 months and no blue eggs. We have for sure one chicken not laying. So the other day we got 16 out of 17 eggs because one doesn't lay and all there was, was 3 green eggs, 4 light brown eggs, and 9 brown eggs.
How many chickens in total? Are they all female? Each chicken lays only one color eggs.
So you have at least three pullets laying according to the colors.

Also, I think blue or green are in the eyes of beholder! We have two EEs, both lay greenish eggs, we call them "grayish blue", in contrast to our blue bell which lays light color blue eggs, we call it "minty blue". Once their laying is more established, the size and shape can be unique to each bird as well. At least that's from our observation of a small flock!
Our blue bell lays identical blue color as the blue ceramic egg. (I was fooled once, picked up the ceramic egg untill I weighed it, 34g, every ceramic egg is 34g!) So, if that's blue, some may call our EEs' eggs green!!

Ameraucanas always lay blue or green eggs.

It's actually spelled something different I think its Americauna?

How many chickens in total? Are they all female? Each chicken lays only one color eggs.
So you have at least three pullets laying according to the colors.

Also, I think blue or green are in the eyes of beholder! We have two EEs, both lay greenish eggs, we call them "grayish blue", in contrast to our blue bell which lays light color blue eggs, we call it "minty blue". Once their laying is more established, the size and shape can be unique to each bird as well. At least that's from our observation of a small flock!
Our blue bell lays identical blue color as the blue ceramic egg. (I was fooled once, picked up the ceramic egg untill I weighed it, 34g, every ceramic egg is 34g!) So, if that's blue, some may call our EEs' eggs green!!
I have all females and 17 in total but one hasn't been laying and she is about 1 year old now.

Back
Top Bottom