So... I want to delve into chicks.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by elfkin2001, Aug 15, 2008.

1. elfkin2001

elfkin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    My husband and I mantain a mixed flock of approximately 60-65 chickens.

We also have 8 ducks:
    Ancona Hen and Drake
    Khaki Hen and Drake
    Indian Runner Drake
    Fawn Runner Hen
    3 Rouen Hens

As of right now ducks and chickens all live housed together (quite harmoniously might I add). I sell the eggs that I get from everyone, and occasionally we will butcher a chicken for a meal.

Eventually I want to start hatching baby chicks, but for now my chickens are just a source of enjoyment to me. I have however decided that I would like to try my hand at hatching ducklings. I'd like to try a strictly brooding approach. No incubators or intervention. Just go for it with behaviors and natural instinct.

Right now everyone is housed in a huge coop (converted carport). We have two heat boxes for the colder evenings, 20 nesting boxes, three roosts, the feed/water set up, and a duck pond. We also have a brooding setup (when we buy chicks), a chick coop (before they get released into general population) and two breeding coops with nesting boxes.

I can do everything up to brooding. I will admit I have no knowledge in that area. So any tips on how to get my hens to brood? Picking the correct brooding hen? Brooding ducklings to hatch?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    No suggestions. Just an opinion.

Domestic ducks are notoriously unreliable as brooders. My opinion? Get an incubator.

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have never had ducks, but just wanted to say...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    ducks and chickens brood when they get ready you can do nothing to make them go broody

5. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I had runners for training herding dogs for several years,they never went broody,just kind of dropped them on the run..some might but I think they were developed for egg laying,I have read they can lay up to 300 eggs in a year,so they are kind of like duck leghorns..egg makers but not setters..tho it could have been from the dog training that they never relaxed enough to set..

6. elfkin2001

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:No but there are egg set ups, ways to start breeding chickens and ducks. I have NEVER BRED OR TRIED TO HATCH!! I am just looking for guidance and support to start the set up. If I don't even start a scenario or give them the proper set up they won't go broody at all.

Can someone please help me out!!!!

7. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

8. elfkin2001

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:I didn't figure I'd get much out of my runner. She's a little thing, kind of stressed. I have some good Rouen hens and a Khaki. I had researched before I purchased and saw that they were pretty decent mothers.

9. elfkin2001

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for the welcome![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by