So, I was just vacuuming the button quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rozzie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    room. [​IMG]

What? Did you think I was REALLY vacuuming my little darling birds up? [​IMG] [​IMG]

These birds are seriously LOONY. I mean the HAND that feeds them is a scary monster. But, I take a little Dirt Devil in yesterday and they paid no attention, even when it was right by their cages. So, tonight in went the shop vac. I started with it outside the door of the room, with just the hose in the room. That was freaking cold, though. Their door opens up to the outdoors. I have a thick curtain over it, but still it was cold. So, I took the shop vac all the way into the room and vacuumed away. They didn't pay a bit of attention. Not one bit. In fact, when I turned OFF the shop vac, I realized they were singing even louder than usual, as if to try to be heard over it.

I will no longer be stuck just sweeping the carpet in there with a broom. Now I can really keep it cleaner in there. I can even vacuum the tops of their cages with it. They don't care at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just got an industrial vacuum cleaner and the button quail make their pew pewing sounds [​IMG] It's funny how weird sounds make them happy [​IMG]

Just have to make sure NOT to vacuum anyone [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    OMG - You scared me! [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I CAN SEE IT NOW.....

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THOOMP! UH OH! [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    One thing I do know is that they don't like it if you vacuum their cage. I used to use the hose on the vacuum to clean their cages out (the parts I could get into anyway) and they still freaked. Of course I had to stop doing that because it was plugging up the vacuum hose [​IMG]

6. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:ROFL!!!! I'll admit I did vacuum the front ledge of a couple of them. I'm in the process of transitioning my button quail over into pet taxis. Don't think of the little cat sized ones -- think of the next two or three sizes up. I buy whatever sizes I can get cheap somewhere. I'll pay up to $10 for the REALLY big ones or a bit less for the medium sized ones. Each pair gets a taxi. Some of these cages are really big. They are on shelves that have adjustable widths & some of the bigger ones are stacked two high on the floor.

Problem, though is that they kick bedding out the door. (One of these days I'm going to solve that by putting some fine screen over the doors...eventually...) Then it falls on the top of the next cage down. It doesn't fall on any quail but it looks messy.

This solved that!

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ask around and see if you can get any of the political signs or maybe tobacco signs from a gas station. Most of them are made of coroplast, you can use it as a shield on the doors of your taxis [​IMG]

I wish I could find stuff like that here, everyone is cheap [​IMG] Though I did get a nice bird cage at the auction for $10, one just like one that I know I've paid $80 for when I had my parakeets!

8. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Oh mine aren't all in perfect shape. Dogs have nibbled on the edges of some. One has a rusty door (but not severe...I scrubbed the worst off). One has a slightly bent pin but it closes okay if you pay attention to what you are doing. Some of them needed a TON of work to clean them up enough to use them. One of them needed a good soaking with the garden hose & a pair of latex gloves (then bleach...)

Cages in better shape sell on Craigslist for quite a bit here.

I also have a small rabbit cage and a 30 gallon aquarium in use for my buttons, plus a cage I built.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Just Run A Piece Of Duct Tape Across The Bottom Of The Door--- Inside And Out Stuck To Itself Thru The Holes In The Wire Door--- That Shuld Make A Vertical "thresh Hold" To Help Retain The Bedding

10. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Duct tape? For my pretty little birds?

Yeah, that would probably work...

They wouldn't care.

I hate duct tape, though. [​IMG] I "think" there is a roll here somewhere.

Actually, a piece of posterboard would even do it. Not that I have any of that, either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by