So, I watched Food Inc. this morning...

One way to get "good" food is to buy local. Find out were local farmers markets are and learn to can and freeze food for later.Salsa, pasta sauce and pickled veggies along with jams are fairly easy to make and are fun too:) Try to find local pure honey and local honey can help with allergies cause by local flowers.

I wish everyone could see the show that our state Farm Bureau put together as a rebuttal to Food Inc. It was on our local PBS station and I don't know if it's available online or not. I'm not a fan of movies/docudramas like that as I'm sure a lot of people on here are aware. They generally only show the worst of the worst and only include those people who are of a similar opinion as the filmmaker. Just because something is included in a film or is in print does not make it the truth, which I think too many people tend to forget.

It was obviously very one sided.
hmm.png
I think it would have been even more effective if they would have been able to get another perspective to allow the audience to decide who they thought was the "bad guy" in the scenario.

Quote:
I think that can go both ways. I believe all documentaries should be taken with a grain of salt. No matter if they are anti walmart, anti big biz farms or anti monkeys. The same can be said for anything that is pro something.
wink.png

The best thing people can do is educate themselves. Buy local, see where your food is made if you can, talk to the people who grow, raise or process it. Become involved. So there is a veil of sorts on a lot of commercially made foods, find more open places. Not knowing is not an excuse. If everyone did that, I really believe we would start to see a change. Vote with your wallet, it's really one of the most powerful tools we have.

If suddenly we all switched to grass fed, organic, free range food our costs would triple. Not everyone can afford that

They can't right now because those sort of foods are sold as ""foods....right now they can charge a high price because there are few who grow and market their livestock in this manner.

But...if more people wanted it~demand~more farmers would attempt it~supply~and it would no longer be considered a novelty or a niche, it would just be "the market". Raising foods in this manner actually requires less money....no need to buy or produce expensive grains, no need to formulate special, medicated diets, no need for commercial de-wormers, no need for commercial fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, etc. The only thing needed is more land...and it lies all around us, empty and unfarmed in this manner. You can actually stock more livestock on those fields using Salatin's methods, so you don't need as much land as you would in traditional farming with open graze.

I agree....no one can afford it right now. If more people would support this type of food system, though, it would become less expensive as more farmers joined the band and played the same tune. More farmers mean competitive pricing.​

Quote:
I'm glad it had such an impact on you! I wish more people were aware of what they ate.

Does this mean you are eliminating (or limiting) meat from your diet? We switched to a no-meat diet 2 years ago... we definitely feel healthier, and it is fun. I have a ton of recipes and good links if you want
smile.png

Quote:
I'm glad it had such an impact on you! I wish more people were aware of what they ate.

Does this mean you are eliminating (or limiting) meat from your diet? We switched to a no-meat diet 2 years ago... we definitely feel healthier, and it is fun. I have a ton of recipes and good links if you want
smile.png

It's cheaper too...I save a lot of money because I am not purchasing meat like we used to. Our chickens keep us in supply of a good protien source, and we still eat cheese & milk, but we try to buy organic or farmer's market products. Later we plan on getting a Mini cow. (I've had dairy cattle before, so I know what having a cow is like, not for everybody, but thats why they have those livestock shares you can get into)

Back
Top Bottom