1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So I went to the pet store to buy grasshoppers....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I didn't bother looking at the price because, well, how much CAN grasshoppers be? When I got up to the counter the lady rang them up (I got two small containers of them) and then she says "$10.58 Please" I'm like WHAT?? Are you kidding me! LOL Since when did grass hoppers start costing so much?? What did I miss?? There were 60 grasshoppers in total A LOT of them were dead!

2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Mealworms can be pricy too if they're big. I hate when lots of them are dead. It's a bummer. [​IMG]

3. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they're hard to catch? [​IMG] It's been so hot and dry here we have TONS of grasshoppers. You're welcome to come get them!! -Wendy

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Shop around for grasshoppers. I've found that prices can vary wildly.

5. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    You might look for crickets at pet stores. My pet store they are 1.00 a dozen but I usually end up with more.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm not sure a good price on mealworms but our local feed shop has 100 for $3. They come in a container you can keep in your fridge. Mine were all alive, packed in a sawdust type stuff. I felt like a got a good deal but I don't know much about these things. Ha ha

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Oh my Gosh!!!! I am bombarded with them!!! I could go outside and catch hundreds !!!! They are eating everything !!! I can't believe there is a market for them that is just crazy!!!!!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We left a corrugated sink sheet laying outside in the yard during summer. I picked it up one day and found dozens of crickets underneath. Calling all chickens! They gorged themselves. Have been leaving sheets laying around ever since. Try it if you have lots of crickets around, just leave it awhile to give the crickets time to find it.
    A friend of ours put fish heads in a container and bred maggots for his chickens, gross, but free food and the girls loved it. Just make sure you keep it a safe distance from your house!

9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by