So I went to the pet store to buy grasshoppers....

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I didn't bother looking at the price because, well, how much CAN grasshoppers be? When I got up to the counter the lady rang them up (I got two small containers of them) and then she says "$10.58 Please" I'm like WHAT?? Are you kidding me! LOL Since when did grass hoppers start costing so much?? What did I miss?? There were 60 grasshoppers in total A LOT of them were dead!

Mealworms can be pricy too if they're big. I hate when lots of them are dead. It's a bummer.
tongue.gif

I'm not sure a good price on mealworms but our local feed shop has 100 for $3. They come in a container you can keep in your fridge. Mine were all alive, packed in a sawdust type stuff. I felt like a got a good deal but I don't know much about these things. Ha ha

Oh my Gosh!!!! I am bombarded with them!!! I could go outside and catch hundreds !!!! They are eating everything !!! I can't believe there is a market for them that is just crazy!!!!!

We left a corrugated sink sheet laying outside in the yard during summer. I picked it up one day and found dozens of crickets underneath. Calling all chickens! They gorged themselves. Have been leaving sheets laying around ever since. Try it if you have lots of crickets around, just leave it awhile to give the crickets time to find it.
A friend of ours put fish heads in a container and bred maggots for his chickens, gross, but free food and the girls loved it. Just make sure you keep it a safe distance from your house!

Back
Top Bottom