1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So, if I get a roo...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sleepy71, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi all,

I've been reading the forums about the usefulness Roosters bring to a flock. It has made me think real hard about adding one to my 6-hen flock. But, I am not ready for babies. We got the hens for eggs, not for babies. If I were to get a rooster, is he gonna be all over each of my hens, trying to fertilize them? And, if so, can I simply remove the eggs before they get incubated by the hens, and subsequently prevent the egg from developing? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm still very new at all this. What an addicting hobby! LOL

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

The roo will probably pick his favorites and maybe make them bald on their backs. 6 hens are not much for a roo! If you are happy with your hens as they are there really is no need for a roo. If you free-range then he can maybe help keep them safe...I have several roos in my flock and I can honestly say that they are more interested in copulating that protecting! Maybe it is different if there is a small group of hens and one roo...I have no idea. (I love my roos for their beauty..but that is about it!) Good luck on your decision! Terri O
    ETA: Yes, you can pick up the eggs each day and will have no babies developing!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello, Sleepy71! Yes, if you get a rooster he will most likely mate with each of your hens, although he may have a favorite that he mates with more than the others. If you don't want to hatch any chicks, simply collect your eggs each day and they will not have a chance to develop. You can use them the same as you do your unfertilized ones. Have fun with your chickens.

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Sleepy71

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just what I wanted to hear! Thank you! Now, just need to chat with my neighbor about the potential for a little extra noise from my coop. How far does the crowing sound carry? 100 feet? More? Less?

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Collect everyday and put them in the fridge. We have roos and we eat the eggs, I haven't had any yucky surprises when cracking an egg yet. How much land do you have we have 3 acres and our roos don't really seem to bother anyone. You can't hear them inside the house just when you are outside.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:It really depends on the rooster. My smaller boys tend to have a higher pitched, quieter (not quiet [​IMG] ) crows. My big Orpingtons can shake the windows......of the house a block away. [​IMG] One in particular can be heard several blocks away.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Ours carries a loooooonnngggg way. Our coop is about 150 ft from our house, and it's easy to hear through our windows at 5 am, with everything closed up tight. Our neighbor, who's probably 300 yards away, can hear them in his house. It is something we've gotten used to (still wakes me up sometimes), and no one has complained - at least to us - yet. We're in an agricultural district, and we don't complain about all their dogs who bark all the freakin' time... (We have a dog, but she only barks to alert us to an issue on our property). 100 feet? They'll hear it. Give them some eggs (we share ours with neighbors) and they may be okay with them.

9. Sleepy71

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    We have a deep 1-acre lot, zoned rural residential, as are the properties to the left and right. Behind us is a SFR neighborhood. The closest neighbor is on the left of us and his home is probably 150ft from the coop.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:It really depends on the rooster. My smaller boys tend to have a higher pitched, quieter (not quiet [​IMG] ) crows. My big Orpingtons can shake the windows......of the house a block away. [​IMG] One in particular can be heard several blocks away.

Now my Bantam boys can be heard all the way down the road where as my Jersey Giant roo has a deeper but lower pitched crow and you cant really hear him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by