so, if I'm looking for Barnevelders. . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horsewishr, Aug 11, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    and have exhausted myself googling, can I assume there are none to be found around here? (W. Michigan). I emailed one guy (web citation was from 2005), and never heard back.

Do people who have rare breeds like to keep them to themselves? I live in a VERY Dutch town, so I was thinking I'd see some Dutch breeds at the fair. But no luck. I'll keep looking.

I just wondered how rare the "rare" breeds really are.

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
  3. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I've been thinking about that breed as well. Here's a hatchery that I've found... http://www.bluehenhatchery.com/yourbasket.html However... I've never used them and don't know how good they are.

If you use them, let me know how they are. Thinking about ordering some next year.

4. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I'm wondering if the Wellsummers are similar. Those are available thru other big hatcheries. I think if you really want the best quality and want to show, you need to find a breeder who does that to get better birds.

5. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:that's the question, though. How to find a breeder. There seems to be nobody within 150 miles of me. And the mail orders only do straight run 25+ chicks. I guess getting a couple of pullets is impossible.

6. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    ideal-poultry.com
    their minimum order is $25 ($20 when I ordered) and they sell sexed barnevelder pullets.

7. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    Hi horsewishr,

I just happened upon your thread. I live in Clarkston, MI and bought some hatching eggs this spring from a guy in Owosso. That is a bit east of Lansing. We hatched 17 out of 24 eggs-great results I thought. He has both Barnevelders and Welsummers. His email is [email protected]. He has many different kinds of chickens. I bought silkie, frizzle and maran eggs from him.

8. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:LOL. That's the guy I mentioned in my original post. He finally emailed back and said he only has one pair of Barnies, and that they're not producing fertile eggs.

My biggest problem is that I only want TWO pullets. And hatching eggs make me nervous, because I don't want roosters (husband forbids them because he doesn't want the hens pecked).

Do you think, if I bought hatching eggs, that I could find homes for any "extras" (especially roos)? I'm thinking that because they're a rare breed, I might be able to. But if I couldn't, I'd be in BIG trouble.

9. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Alphagamchick, I sent you a PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by