So if roosters can be hen-feathered...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Can hens be rooster-feathered? [​IMG] I have a young mixed chicken here, who has a straight, fanned tail going on, but is starting to get some very suspicious saddle feathers. I had excepted this little 'guy' was a male but I swear, he acts and sounds just like a hen. Maybe he's just confused! Has anyone else had gender-confused chickens before? [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    yes; at least sort of. If they lack female hormones due to ovary damage, they will grow male feathers.

3. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Also a hen can change if they don't have a roo in the flock.

Some people in the middle ages got spooked out at it and burned them at the stake.That was only if they where crowing AND laying eggs though.

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Interesting...I had no idea!

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:They can't physically change sex. Maybe behavior, but changing breed in the chicken world is impossible. You were misinformed.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:They can't physically change sex. Maybe behavior, but changing breed in the chicken world is impossible. You were misinformed.

no if there is no roo in the pen some times, and very rarely will , a hen will grow sprus , sto laying egg's and start to crow. This is may be cused by as Sonoran Silkies said may be cused by ovary damage

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.

no if there is no roo in the pen some times, and very rarely will , a hen will grow sprus , sto laying egg's and start to crow. This is may be cused by as Sonoran Silkies said may be cused by ovary damage

Even if there is a rooster in a pen, i had a hen that crowed, grew spurs, would fight other hens etc (she was a game) and still laid eggs while in a pen with a rooster. I use high testosterone levels as a excuse but not sure.

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    and yes they can still lay eggs , just depends on the hen i guess depends on the hen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by