So if this works(ducklings) will the hens share the babies?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I have two broody hens they are sharing the nest, no idea how many eggs are under there i know it was more than 10 when i could see in now.. not a chance to peek.

They take turns, where one will go forage... swim, basically get out and walk while the other sits, then they tag team and both cuddle on the nest..

so if they are fertile eggs and do hatch, are they going to share the ducklings?

Very often when there is sharing of a nest the hatches can be very poor. With all the moving and swapping of eggs one or two are often left in the cold not covered by either broody. It is also possible that one will leave the nest as soon as any hatch- and the other will want to just keep sitting ( just a law of averages) Some mothers are good sitters- but once the babies arrive they continue to sit rather than care for the babies so are happy for someduck else to do the raising. I ave heard of ducks happily raising babies together as well- but for the best results- its better to leave each mother on their own. Is there any way you can remove one duck from the nest and shut her out to break the broodiness?

Very often when there is sharing of a nest the hatches can be very poor. With all the moving and swapping of eggs one or two are often left in the cold not covered by either broody. It is also possible that one will leave the nest as soon as any hatch- and the other will want to just keep sitting ( just a law of averages) Some mothers are good sitters- but once the babies arrive they continue to sit rather than care for the babies so are happy for someduck else to do the raising. I ave heard of ducks happily raising babies together as well- but for the best results- its better to leave each mother on their own. Is there any way you can remove one duck from the nest and shut her out to break the broodiness?

I see, interesting info.. thanks! also no, the nest is in the barn... all of the ducks night time housing so we'll just let it be and see what comes of it.

I see, interesting info.. thanks! also no, the nest is in the barn... all of the ducks night time housing so we'll just let it be and see what comes of it.

Aww congrats can't wait to see babies..
pop.gif

It also depends on the ducks. I've seen muscovy ducks successfully share nests and raise ducklings. Last year I had three muscovy hens that crammed into a tiny nest box with about 30 eggs. Most of the eggs hatched, and as they hatched first one then another hen became mothers. The last hen kept sitting, and I had to remove the last of the eggs from her because they started stinking. The other two hens were great mothers.

It also depends on the ducks. I've seen muscovy ducks successfully share nests and raise ducklings. Last year I had three muscovy hens that crammed into a tiny nest box with about 30 eggs. Most of the eggs hatched, and as they hatched first one then another hen became mothers. The last hen kept sitting, and I had to remove the last of the eggs from her because they started stinking. The other two hens were great mothers.

Sounds a bit more promising then. These two seem to be working very well together so i guess again time will tell.

please do.
pop.gif

Ok that took longer than it should have photobucket decided it hated me ....

Bird on the right is dusty and the one on the left is well, we call her a "frey's hen" we have another just like her.. they are from our original straight run.. Frey's hatchery so we just refer to them that way, almost impossible to tell them apart.

I guess now that i look being she has a black cap, would she too throw colour? The drakes are black barred and black capped white.

Ok that took longer than it should have photobucket decided it hated me ....

Bird on the right is dusty and the one on the left is well, we call her a "frey's hen" we have another just like her.. they are from our original straight run.. Frey's hatchery so we just refer to them that way, almost impossible to tell them apart.

I guess now that i look being she has a black cap, would she too throw colour? The drakes are black barred and black capped white.

she may throw color, when my solid white girls laid they bred with almost solid blk drake they had blk and whites mostly of varing degree and 1 chocolate so you just never know. They are very pretty girls by the way.

Back
Top Bottom