1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So if this works(ducklings) will the hens share the babies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have two broody hens they are sharing the nest, no idea how many eggs are under there i know it was more than 10 when i could see in now.. not a chance to peek.

They take turns, where one will go forage... swim, basically get out and walk while the other sits, then they tag team and both cuddle on the nest..

so if they are fertile eggs and do hatch, are they going to share the ducklings?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Very often when there is sharing of a nest the hatches can be very poor. With all the moving and swapping of eggs one or two are often left in the cold not covered by either broody. It is also possible that one will leave the nest as soon as any hatch- and the other will want to just keep sitting ( just a law of averages) Some mothers are good sitters- but once the babies arrive they continue to sit rather than care for the babies so are happy for someduck else to do the raising. I ave heard of ducks happily raising babies together as well- but for the best results- its better to leave each mother on their own. Is there any way you can remove one duck from the nest and shut her out to break the broodiness?

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I see, interesting info.. thanks! also no, the nest is in the barn... all of the ducks night time housing so we'll just let it be and see what comes of it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww congrats can't wait to see babies.. [​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It also depends on the ducks. I've seen muscovy ducks successfully share nests and raise ducklings. Last year I had three muscovy hens that crammed into a tiny nest box with about 30 eggs. Most of the eggs hatched, and as they hatched first one then another hen became mothers. The last hen kept sitting, and I had to remove the last of the eggs from her because they started stinking. The other two hens were great mothers.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds a bit more promising then. These two seem to be working very well together so i guess again time will tell.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks.. er, I think? [​IMG] Hopefully, we will get some colour.. one is a coloured bird the other is a white. I should post the pic my older daughter got of the two together on the nest.. it's pretty cute lol

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    please do. [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ok that took longer than it should have photobucket decided it hated me ....

[​IMG]

Bird on the right is dusty and the one on the left is well, we call her a "frey's hen" we have another just like her.. they are from our original straight run.. Frey's hatchery so we just refer to them that way, almost impossible to tell them apart.

I guess now that i look being she has a black cap, would she too throw colour? The drakes are black barred and black capped white.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    she may throw color, when my solid white girls laid they bred with almost solid blk drake they had blk and whites mostly of varing degree and 1 chocolate so you just never know. They are very pretty girls by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by