So, I'm a "Chicken-guy" now!!

GruffleHog

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Western Michigan
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
So, this spring, I decided to take an old chicken coop, located on my property (which probably hasn't seen a chicken in 20 years) remodel it, and do the "chicken thing" . Actually, I started with 5 Guinea Hens, which I discovered, are the most scared-sh*tless birds on the planet and see where this endeavor takes me! Well, the guineas are now 3 months old and out on their own, so I have just purchased 5 Light Brahmas and 6 Americaunas (straight run). I'm pretty sure there's some Roos in there. I'm pretty excited to see where this hobby takes me. It's REALLY a lot of fun! I'm don't really know much about chickens, so everyday is a learning experience. Thanks Backyardchickens and EVERYONE in here for all the helpful advise!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Guineas aren't for everyone, that's for sure. I think you will be much happier with chickens. The best place to start a chicken education is the Learning Center.
Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. :frow

Jun 6, 2017
Dunlap TN
Welcome :) I've had chickens and then some for many years but fairly new here on BYC. Give the guineas some time, once they mature they tend to be much more bold. They make good alarms if something or someone approaches "their" territory. I absolutely loved mine. Had to sell them when we moved 4 yrs ago along with my other barnyard birds and have just in the last year started rebuilding my flocks. Chickens, turkeys, and 5 goose eggs in the incubator at present. Guineas and possibly quail next year. :)
But Drumstick is right, not everyone loves or even likes em. keep at it, you'll find what suits you.

Top Bottom