So I'm curious about mixing breeds...

sangel4you

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Halifax, Pennsylvania
I'm not ready to do this, infact I'm a long way off, but I was thinking...
A friend of mine has RIR, and I LOVE them...however I have white leghorns...5 females. He has a mixutre of M/F RIR's. If I were to get a roo from him, what color eggs would I get, and what kind of chicks would I get? I was wondering how that worked, because I am thinking about mixing up my flock with some varieties but some of them would be roos. Thanks for indulging me :)

I was wondering something along the same lines...

Will most breeds "interact" together? If I only have one or two roos, but a mix of hens what can I expect?

Quote:
When it comes time for the rooster to pick something to mate with, he is rather indiscriminate.

I found this thread. Basically half way down is a very good description of sex links and two below that is some one who describe just such a sex link cross, the RIR roo and White Leghorn.
woot.gif

torch I don't know what your talking about :-( ?

WEll I meant my eggs like would I still get white ones, or would I get white and brown, and aslo I wondered about the offspring...what would they be? RIR WLG or both or neither?! Lol

who describe just such a sex link cross, the RIR roo and White Leghorn.

Presuming the birds to carry the colour genes typical for their breeds, they would not give a sex link cross.....the offspring would be all white probably with flecks.​

Back
Top Bottom