So I'm dog-sitting...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MysticScorpio82, Aug 18, 2010.

1. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    My friend needed someone to dog sit for her while she went out of sit for 3 days. She told me how sweet, friendly and lazy her beagle is, and it was the day before she had to leave and she was desprate, so I stepped up and told her I would watch him.

Well he arrived this morning. What she didn't tell me is how UNTRAINED he is. [​IMG] And lazy?? HA! I tried walking him to relieve some energry, and the whole time he was choking himself and pulling at the lead (despite me trying to correct him ever 2 min), he jumps all over my 3 year old and OMG! He IS nice amd sweet, he is just a young, untrained beagle. Now I am stuck with him til friday night...

Any ideas? I would like to let him to take walks or even let him run around on a lead line, but he doesnt even know the word "come". I love dogs, but in the few hours he has been here, he has completely over-whelmed my hubby (he is not a dog person). Thank you in advance my BYC friends! [​IMG]

*Note: I did grow up with dogs, but I haven't had one in over 5 years, so I am a bit rusty. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Are there any dog parks in your area? You could find them with a google search. Then he could run off some steam. He's probably also very excited to be in a new place, new people, etc. Even the most laid back dog will be super excited in that situation for the first day or so (I've been a pet sitter for over two years). He may not even calm down until half way through the last day he's there!

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Beagle owner here.......Don't trust him for a second, he will follow his nose and be 5 miles away before you know it. Our Belle is lazy around the house..but a spaz in new surroundings. I think he will settle down a little, probably about the time for him to go home. [​IMG]

Micah

4. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

I feel for you... Just keep doing what your doing to help with his energy.. I am sure the pup is enjoying the play time.. annoying I know.. thats why we keep out door dogs only... plus I am at that point in my life where puppies and the puppy energy drive me crazy.. Happy trails for the days you have him.. lol

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Well he is starting to calm down some, I had to RUN him (on his leash) around my property several times, but by the end he was running beside me (with slack in the leash!! [​IMG] ). Lol, too bad I am out of shape and was panting myself by the end of it! [​IMG]

He is a sweet doggie, I just wish I knew how to train him a bit better so he isn't jumping on my 3 year old and scratching her... [​IMG]

Thank you guys for your replies so far!! I apperciate it!

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

You can try feeding him for the day by scattering dog food all over the yard, and I mean Easter egg hunt style ALL over. That will force him to use his nose, which he will LOVE. They also make a cube that you can put food in and they have to roll it around outside to get it to come out. Seeing a theme here? Beagles love food.

Don't let him off leash outside of fencing for a second, he will go and go and go and go...

If you take him for a walk, take some treats with you for his undivided attention. You may need to run him instead of walk him.

I love my old beagle, but after 13 years with him he's finally calmed down [​IMG] He's still stubborn and food obsessed, but he's not nearly as high strung as he used to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by