So - I'm going to clip their wings....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by itsy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm trying to psych myself up for doing this because it bothers me that any bird would have clipped wings.... BUT.... I can't risk the chickens flying up onto the fence and out of the back yard. We just moved here and learned of two neighborhood dogs who roam and would much like to get to my chickens, I'm sure. I know of the BYC link showing how to clip the wings. Any encouraging words for me? [​IMG]

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    They are just feathers - they will grow back. [​IMG]

3. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I had to clip one wing on each of my three chickens. I watched two youtube videos on how to do it. It was very easy and they did not mind it one bit. They now can not fly over my fence. It's easier if you have someone hold them while you clipp. Good luck.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's just feathers, so it won't hurt [​IMG]

Out here it doesn't work one bit for my Araucanas though. Super fliers, those girls are. Clipped or not.

5. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Agreed, You tube video. Piece of cake, unfortunatly it didn't stop my EE from hopping up on the fence. No harm done, not yet at least. A chicken can jump about 4 ft if they want so hopefully your fence is at least 6'. Good luck.

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks everyone! We just bought 7 foot mesh deer fencing and wooden stakes. We're going to put that inside the shorter wooden fencing. It's going to be a temporary thing, because the wooden stakes aren't going to last for years and years, but I need to get them out of this tractor and moving around. We need to build a new coop now that we moved and we're drawing up ideas. Initially, I thought I would convert a Rubbermaid shed (but those are still expensive). I found a guy on CL giving away remains of a downed barn. We're going to go look at that wood and see if it's usable.

Until then - I have to let the girls out!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The easiest on both the human and the bird is to perform a midnight 'alien abduction' on them. They're easier to handle at night, and you can just pull them off the roost with a towel and wrap them up (make sure to cover their eyes).

Fish their wing out, snip snip snip, and plonk them back onto their roost. They'll have an interesting story to bawk about in the morning.

Don't feel bad about clipping their wings, it's not like they're missing out on soaring majestically on the updrafts in their freetime [​IMG]

8. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Pele pele pele...... you have us really laughing hard over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

THANK YOU. Your words DO make me feel better. lololol

9. AlaskaGrownEggs

AlaskaGrownEggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasilla, AK
    It is not like you are cutting a bone. Like others said it is just a feather.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    [​IMG] I'm glad I could help. It wasn't long ago that my dumb EE made me have to figure out how to clip wings for the first time, so I know what you're going through. She's my DH's favorite bird though.

I don't think it says anything good about me that he's become attached to the most difficult female in the flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by