1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So. I'm new to roos and find myself with one...what about eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5isenough, Nov 22, 2010.

1. 5isenough

5isenough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    One of my 9 hens turned out to be a roo at 24 weeks. Big surprise as I've never had a roo and am really ignorant. A friend says I will have to candle all my eggs. Is this true? I surely don't want to have a "peep omelet" for breakfast. I just don't know what to expect. Any help out there?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Nope the embryos won't start developing unless they get incubated. I have a rooster and you can't tell that the eggs are fertilized unless you look really close (do a search on fertilized egg pictures, there is a really good example on here somewhere). They taste the same as any other egg you get from your hens. You won't even notice.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Same taste, same nutrtitional value, same look (unless you look closely and know what you are looking for). All the eggs I get and sell are fertile.
    Just collect your eggs regularly and you'll have nothing to worry about.

4. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    HI! You don't have to worry about the taste or quality of your eggs if your rooster is with the hens. All that is different in the egg is that it will have a little black speck that is the embryo. The egg won't taste any different from an egg laid by a hen that doesn't have a rooster with her. BUT: If you let the hen sit on the egg for more than 5 days, you probably will have development in the egg.
    P.S. Don't eat an egg that hasn't been in a refrigerator for more than 2 days!!!! [​IMG]
    Good question!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Not true
    1- there is no black speck. This is a myth. A fertilized egg has a white "bullseye" ring on it, nothing black or off-colored. Search the forum for pictures

2-you can get development in is little as 3 days if a hen is setting (egg held near 100*F consistently) just collect your eggs EVERY day and that won't happen at all, no worries!!!

3-You can eat eggs straight from the coop. Many people don't refrigerate them at all. Room temperature is rarely high enough to start incubation, you would be sweating constantly if your house was that warm. The only time I know of someone accidentally incubating eggs in the kitchen, they were sitting on top of the refrigerator and being heated by it, not just your normal room temp. Keep them away from heat sources and you won't have a problem.

My eggs are all fertilized, but you can't tell. I also keep them on the kitchen table not always in the fridge. The only time I cracked an egg that had started incubating I had removed it FROM UNDER A BROODY HEN and knowing it was suspect I cracked it for the dog's dinner. Believe me, you won't accidentally eat an embryo. Lots of us think it's cool to see them if they die during incubation, so there are a few pictures on the incubating part of the forum if you are interested.
    Roosters are definitely a hoot! I don't think I could/would keep chickens without a roo. I have 4 extra roos just for "pets" sake [​IMG] So enjoy yours, collect the eggs every day, and don't stress about it!!

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
  7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    It isn't a black speck....its a white bullseye. Do a search here on byc and you will see what I'm talking about. No, there is nothing to worry about as long as the eggs are collected daily and kept cool. I have a granite counter that I leave them on for about a week and since the counter is cool, nothing happens. But my normal practice is to refrigerate immediately. Just something I do. Have fun!

A black speck is more than likely a deep red, which might resemble black and is most likely a meat spot. This too, is nothing to worry about. Its edible, even if it is sometimes unsightly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. 5isenough

5isenough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Oh wow, thanks, Guys. That takes a load off my mind. The roo is a beautiful naked neck, white with brown feathers, and I would really hate to have harm come to him just because of his sex. So I'll keep him and collect my fertilized eggs every day. I appreciate the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by