So, I'm sitting here at work

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NickyPick, Jul 21, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    and I get a text message from my sister (and nephew, who's 6):

1:30 egg hunt results: hutch 1: green egg; hutch 2: occupied by chicken; hutch 3: brown egg

[​IMG] Up to date updates! Now I'm wondering. I have 12 hens and from what I read around here, I figured 3 nest boxes would be fine since everyone says they tend to share. I only have 5 pullets laying so far and now I'm wondering if I should add some more nest boxes, or just let the rest triple up on the ones I have. Any opinions?​

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I think it seems you can put as many nests in as you want? And the hens will all go to two or three. Just my experience! . I have my gantams in a coop with 12 nest boxes built in the side and they use two! -

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hey, get back to work:lol:
    Congrats on the eggs, it it exciting, hey? I have more than 40 hens laying and they picked 5 boxes and places of their own choosing to lay in. 30+ eggs per day and no problems, they sqeeze into the box when needed.

4. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'm trying to teach my nephew not to bother the chicken on the nest when he goes egg hunting. He's so excited, he wants to lift their butts to see if they've layed yet. [​IMG] I'm still kinda surprised that all my EE's have already started laying. My chicks are 21 weeks old now and the EE's have been laying for 2+ weeks. One GLW just started, but still nothing from the other Wyandottes and Orpingtons. Where are all my brown eggs????? [​IMG]

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have 4 layers and 2 nests and they both get used. There is always 3 eggs in the bottom nest and 1 egg in the top. And it's not always the same girl using the top nest. I added a nest because they were laying on the ground if the nest was occupied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by