So I'm thinking this is a Quiter egg? Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelseygirl707, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    So I didn't candle before I put the eggs is the bator, at day 7 I notice a egg had some crackage, but it was developing so I let it be, but today day 16 I candled and it seems like it stopped developing, it's the only one I don't see movement it, What do you think?

Bad egg?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good eggs from same batch for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Unless it smells funky... I'd leave it. They can be very deceiving at this point...

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    That is huge! I'm on Day 5 with my duck eggs, and they are only as big as the tip of my finger! I know they take longer at 28 days but wow! Im not really sure what Im looking at but there have been several threads posted about candling tonight so hopefully you will find your answer.

Good Luck, and let us know what happens!

4. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I am hardly the one to offer incubating advise, but I had heard (on here, I think) someone said they used wax to seal a crack and incubated successfully. On the first egg, I don't see the veining like on the others. What kind of eggs are they? They look dark.

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I also heard wax works well!

6. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Wish I could help, but I have to agree with the person that said if it don't smell leave it alone. You will know if it is bad. I have had chicks hatch out 2 days late. If they do not hatch them, I get rid of them. In the 2nd pic, it does look like a chick.

As for me, I candle the 1st day to check for cracks and if there is 1, that egg goes in the dog food (great for their coats).

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    That top egg looks bad to me. Probably got contaminated with bacteria from the crack. If you keep it I would keep a VERY close eye on it. It will start to weep through the crack and stink!
    [​IMG]
    Good luck! The bottom one looks fabulous - as you already know [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  8. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks everybody. As for the wax, it was probably my thread you were reading lol, I dropped and egg, just a few inches, but it cracked, so since the membrane didn't tear I did the wax thing, and that baby is wigglin all over the place in her egg now. But with this one I didn't catch the crack until day 7, and since the baby seemed to be developing I figured I just leave it alone, Possibly a beginners mistake, oh well, live and learn. I'm monitoring smell carefully, so I'll just leave it in, unless I notice and odor.

9. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Those eggs are brown eggs, which the breeder I bought the eggs from told me what they were, but I can't for the life of me remember what she said??? They look like some RIR eggs I have, but we'll just have to wait and see.

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Thanks for the help guys, but I do have one more question, I don't have a problem leaving the egg in, but I was looking at the pics again, and the "Bad" egg doesn't seem to have an air cel, am I missing it? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by