So impatient! Only one hen laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SusanPC, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    About three weeks ago, two of my four 19-week old pullets started squatting. I was so excited! One week later, my Easter Egger started laying a small green egg every other day. Now at 22-weeks, she is laying the small green egg every day, but the other chickens are still not laying. Eventually, the other two began squatting and I've been getting the egg song from the Easter Egger and from a few of the other chickens too (they are a BPR, BO & SLW). Still, only 1 green egg every day. The others will lay brown eggs, so I know it's not them. It seems like their behavior is consistent with entering the laying "window", but still nothing. Is 22-weeks still too early to expect eggs from all of them? Also, we have terribly high heat (100's) here, so although I've been providing water pans, ice and fans, could this delay their egg laying? Thanks for any reassurance.

Here's my cute little green egg I get every day pictured in a box with store-bought brown eggs.

[​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It could be a combination of things, but the foremost is.....patience! I know, I know...easy for me to say!! But like you my 4 BAs are right on the verge, too, and I haven't even gotten my first one yet! This awful heat could be part of the prob, too.

3. Angel13

Angel13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    It's hard to be patient I know to well. I have one laying she is a white leghorn. I have an EE, RIR and a SLW all doing the song and the squatting all the signs of ready to lay but it's been over a week with nothing. It is driving me crazy. I really love seeing eggs in the nesting box but would love to see more than one. Hopefully we will be getting more soon. Post when your other girls start laying. Patience is not me at all. I check every hour. My husband says they won't lay under so much pressure :D

Angel

4. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    WooHoo - I'm up to two laying hens out of four! Today, I went home for lunch and checked the nest boxes and there was Trixie's beautiful green egg in the center box (she's been laying for about 2 weeks) and one light brown egg! The other three girls all lay brown, so now I have to catch somebody poking around the nest boxes to find out who it was! Just thought I'd share the update!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. cblakley0531

cblakley0531 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop

Woo hoo!!!! Happy dance! I'm in the same boat. Only one of three started laying, I'm not so patiently waiting for the others to catch on lol

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 2nd of 6 as of this week, the first started 2 weeks ago, staggered ages......the other 4 are not far off, couple weeks probably.

8. Slwagner73

Slwagner73 New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    I have six, all the same age, and only one egg a day!

Patience is not one of my virtues.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It....takes.....a....long....time.....to .....learn.....patience :D

10. cblakley0531

cblakley0531 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop