SO IN LOVE with my *muscovies*PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by H04, Aug 31, 2010.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Hello! Last weekend we got 2 muscovies from a fellow BYC member [​IMG] GOSH I am soooo glad we went the Duck route especially since they are quiet [​IMG] We have had them since Saturday and they are 1 month old and already come to us for peas and when we call their names . My boys call them "Backpack and Cuddles" They are awesome and getting big quick. I can't wait for them to grow some as they were able to escape through our shadow box fence so my DH is also going to build a chicken type tractor so they can free range some around the yard. Towards the evenings it is sooooo relaxing to just sit outside and watch them eat the weeds we pull for them and catch bugs. RIDICULOUS to think the pesticides my neighbors use etc.
    Since we don't live on a farm my homeschooled boys at least get the experience to clean out the pen ( they do it frequently lol) and feed them. They bring their little chairs and sit in there with them too.
    Our duck house is under the treehouse and shaded but can stay damp if rains however our local feed store allows us to come up and get all the free hay we want that is loose from the bales. So the other day the boys brought their little rakes with a large bag to fill. So far the hay works great and they are staying odor free and when it gets really wet around where there big pan is to get wet and drink the boys just put fresh hay around it.

SO how can I post a picture>???

I do have ONE question. We have areca palms in the backyard that are not yet very tall will they eat them down to nubs? LOL Im wondering if we will have to block them down that area or something.

Oh yeah they should also be both females [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Hi HO4, Welcome to Duckland! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a great set up. I would just mention though that I have read that hay can harbour mould spores when damp that can badly affect animal's lungs. Better bedding would be untreated dust-extracted wood shavings or straw or hemp. I use a mix called "Bed-Down" which is sold for horse bedding but I am in the UK and don't expect you can get that brand where you are. I also use straw from our local farm and sometimes hemp (sold as "Aubiose").

Others may use hay without a problem, but this is just what I have read.

Nice to hear your children are getting involved. Mine always complain when it is their turn to do the cleaning out! [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I love my scovy girls (3). They are so quiet and gentle. We switched from hay to pine shavings. Much nicer to clean and don't have to worry with wet hay. You will love those girls!!! Good luck with them and enjoy!

4. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    So far the hay is working well since we get soooo much weekly for free and the boys are constantly changing it out [​IMG] however next monday I think I will pick up some free straw too. It helps the feed store with clean up from the bales [​IMG]

Still trying to find Stall Dry local. I say they had something called PDz or something like that but I have just read so much about stall dry. Right now they are pended but when they are bigger they will free roam during the day. Our yard is little and enclosed with a 6 ft fence.
    Michele

5. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    We would all love to see some pictures if you can take some! It's like having a new baby in the family, isn't it!

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    muscovies rule!

7. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    HAHA To think I am really going to have a baby any time too. HOW DO I post pictures? DO i need to do a flickr account??

8. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    To post pictures you go up to the blue area that says Index, User List, rules, etc... and go to uploads. Then you upload then it will give you an url that you paste onto your response. once you click on uploads it pretty much walks you through it

I had to ask the same question too [​IMG]

9. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    i figure if i was the first to let one in the house then I can never say otherwise when it ends up this way with them following my two young boys in [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I want to say first yes there is chicken wire However they are not in this at night loose but are crated in a secure cage. We live in a regular neighborhood and have a 6ft+ fence and besides a stray cats (GRRRRRR) the only wild animal we seem to get is the occasional opposum.

Their names are Backpack and Cuddles and should be two girls [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by