1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So is being broody contagious or what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stormylady, May 14, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I had 1 broody that started several weeks ago , and then a couple of days later 2 more setting on eggs and today I found 2 more hiding behind a bale of straw doing there thing! Is it because it is spring? Ive had chickens for 3 years almost now and never had one broody girl
    and prayed and prayed and nothing outside of a couple of days and then they would go back to normal now all the Hens that are 2-3 years old are having a go at motherhood. Whats the deal with them.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It is definitely in the air, I had to extract 3 Araucana hens form a single nesting box yesterday. They were all piled on top of each other, boy were they mad mad mad when I dug them out.

We also have three silkies sitting, and another Araucana.

3. TwoByTwo

TwoByTwo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    Well I have my first broody now just started sitting a few days ago. Im going to let her do her thing but I hope and pray the others don't follow in her foot steps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by