So it begins...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BittyBanty, Aug 9, 2010.

1. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I am sitting here reading BYC and I hear a frantic alarm call from my birds and rush out. There is a BIG gray cat with one front leg stuffed through the wire up to the elbow and hung there. It got stuck. I am on my way to Lowe's for smaller wire!

p.s. Everyone was safe [​IMG]

2. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    So glad you were home! Its said over n over- nothing beats hardware wire!

3. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I hope you thumped the grey cat in the head before freeing him.[​IMG] I love my cats, but if they go after my chickens (which hasn't happened to me yet, fortunately), I think I'd have to smack 'em around a little bit!

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    It'll be back. Now it knows to watch for you before going after them.
    Pop it with something a lot more permanent. Like a 30-06. No wounded cat running off.
    I've now lost 33 chickens to cats. Both ferals and the neighbors dead cats.
    The only way to train a cat.............is no cat. The only "training" I managed to do was taught them to come around when I wasn't. No matter how much hazing they ALWAYS came back.

5. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Only problem with killing a neighbors cat is the probability that in saving your chickens - your most likely killing a child's beloved pet - and then the child is sickened with worry wondering why the cat hasn't come home - tears for weeks.
    Having kids myself - I would never wish or do that to anyone even if the cat/dog did kill my chickens. And yes, I've lost chickens - my kids favorite chickens - so know how hard that can be - no sense in making another child go through that as well. It's just selfish.
    If that's your thing than fine.
    Personally - and I expect to get flamed for this - I don't go for the kill first ask later attitude.

Sounds like you need to secure your coop better - and if you free range = that's the risk YOU'RE taking. Not the cat's fault.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:X2. (No flaming from here.)

7. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:I agree with the post to a point, if the cat owners really loved the cat they wouldn't let it wander onto others' properties. No it is not the cat's fault but it is the owner's fault. I would give the owners a chance to take care of their cat but only 1 chance.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:X2. (No flaming from here.)

x3

9. chickenguru

chickenguru Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    Quote:So, I have 35+ acres and live about in the middle of the acreage. The only risk I should HAVE to be taking with our
    flock of free ranging chickens is from wild animals. When the nearest neighbor is about 1/2 a mile away I don't think
    that they care too much for their dog or cat for that matter to let it roam that far off and get into my chickens and have
    their fun. As far as the neighbors are concerned,as long as my chickens are not going off of my property and I should not
    have to worry about their animals coming onto my property and killing, no matter how insecure my pen is.
    Maybe it is not the animals fault but I can't shoot the neighbor you know.
    On, the other hand I do try to call and give the owner a fair warning and ample time to come get their dogs from our property
    before doing anything more about it. But even after that I have still had the same dogs come back time after time so no matter how
    curteous you try to be to some people they just have no respect for other property owners

10. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Since I live in the city I'm sure this cat belongs to a neighbor. I called animal control and they will loan me a trap. I'll pick it up on Friday. It's nice to have nuisanance animal laws when they aren't pointed at my birds! I needed to re-enforce my pen anyway and this got me off my duff and got it done. I don't blame the cat, my own cats would do it if they could. They are cats. I blame the crappy owners that would let a house cat wander in coyote country in the first place. They will get your cat even in the city. Must not like the cat much IMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by