=\ So it's been decided two roos must go. Hardest choice EVER.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    So as per demand of my dear father we now have too many roosters. (2 RIRs and 2 Bantams)
    And he wants to send one of the RIR's to freezer camp and one of the bantams to the sale barn. Now I have the awful problem of picking who goes were. =\\ My RIR's are a little bit easier, My dear Nugget is MUCH friendlier than McChicken and the ladies seem to flock to him more (no pun intended) so I unfortunately think that's how that one is going to turn out. My banties though, I have no idea what to do. My Henry is a HUGE sweetheart, he loves to snuggle and he is much more protective over his ladies. However my McMillian much prettier, and quieter than Henry. He is however very flighty and really doesn't care much for humans in his territory. [​IMG] If it were up to me, they'd all stay. They don't fight, they've got their pecking order all sorted out and I've become rather attached to all four of them. Any suggestions about making a choice? Or ways I could convince my Dad they should all stay? [​IMG] Thanks everyone!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would look at the quality (standards) of the roo and not the personality. You will always have a dominate roo when you have more than one. If you keep more than one roo the chances are they probably will start fighting eventually.

3. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Both of my bantams are about the same quality, it's just that Henry, the nicer one is speckled and kind of plain and we already have two speckled hens? And McMillian the other one has a very pretty red head with grey body feathers and big long tail feathers.

4. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    No advice but [​IMG] sorry that you have to make the decision. We kind of went through the same thing - not easy at all. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    As far as the tail feathers I'm sure Henry's tailfeathers will grow in time. You should just decide if you want to mix your colors or keep with the pure color. From what your saying it sounds like to me you should give Henry a chance and keep him.

6. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    It's really breaking my heart. They're both such good boys.
    However now I'm having doubts abt my RIR's... I was changing leg bands tonight and after I let Nugget (the roo I had planned on keeping) back into the run he lit right into two of my bantam hens??? Just grabbed right onto their necks/heads/combs and thrashed them. I gave him a swift kick to the rump and put him in the coop by himself for a while, but my poor Nora has one of the teeth ripped off her comb! [​IMG] I let him out a little bit later and he was fine, he didn't pay any attention to them. Does anyone know why he would have acted like that? He's been nothing but a gentleman to all my girls since we got him. Should I cull him instead of my other roo? He's usually so good with his ladies, very protective over them, but if his attitude is going to change I'd rather have other roo still around!

7. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Really, there is no right choice. No matter which way you decide to go you will second guess it. I would simply remove the "Choice" by drawing the names out of a hat, or flipping a coin. That way there is no guilt on your part, either for the trip to kamp kenmore or the sale barn.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Get the scissors. If you trim their tail to look like a hen, maybe dad will think they're all keepers [​IMG]

9. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:[​IMG] If only it were so easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by