So, it's the flu...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I've never had the flu before, until last Thursday. I've always been the one running around healthy as could be while everyone else was laying in bed. Well, this time around, I was finally nailed with the flu. I'm slowly starting to recover now, but I haven't been able to leave my home for almost a week now. It's cold outside and just standing in the kitchen when hubby goes outside is enough to give me an asthma attack because my lungs are so weak from everything. I'm tired of coughing and hacking crap up. I'm telling you, I am almost tempted to rig something up to a shop vac and vacuum my lungs out.
    I've been patiently (ok, not exactly patiently) waiting to go back to work, I'm going half nuts not being able to do much of anything. Poor kiddo started showing symptoms on Saturday, but he doesn't seem to be in quite as bad of condition as I was/am, just goes to show that I'm getting old. [​IMG] I've been trying to do my spring cleaning since I'm stuck at home anyways, but it's been VERY slow going. I can sit here and sip on tea or whatever for awhile, but have to lay down on a regular basis or I start to feel like I'm going to pass out or puke. [​IMG] I'm just tired of dragging, I want to get up and DO something! Wish I had the energy of the kiddo, he gets up and runs around in the kitchen or wherever with me when I drag myself off my bum/back, and only really slows down when he starts coughing. He has been sleeping a LOT, but when he's awake, he seems pretty energetic. He's even a trooper with the cough medicine. It's an adult/children's liquid, so it's not catered to taste good, I can hardly choke the garbage down, but he takes it like a trooper.
    I know, this is basically a stupid/pointless post, but, well, I just wanted to get it off my chest that I actually came down with the flu, after almost 21 years of never getting it, and try to rid myself of a little of the guilt for bringing it home for the baby to catch (didn't work, btw).

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG] I totally sympathize with you. Its been a while since I've gotten it and I've always tried to make sure that I get the shot each year just for your very reason. I don't know if it helps or not, but maybe.

Here's lots of hugs and prayers your way and I hope you get your energy back soon!

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Feel free to rant and rave about it. The flu sucks. Now we know why so many people who are elderly or have compromised immune systems die from it. Not to suggest you will, but after having a hard bout with it it gives you a better perspective.

Hope you get well soon.

Hang in there.

Mary

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Dont you come across the stateline. You stay right there in PA until you are healthy.

Flu sucks , i had it 10 years ago and lost like 10-15 pounds.

5. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Eww on the weight-loss. I only lost 5lbs, but still not good for being 8 months pregnant. Fortunately I have lots of extra "padding" so a little weight-loss isn't too big of a deal. I've been keeping an eye on the little tyke though, trying to keep a good bit of food in his belly, even if it means going back to the 2-3 hour feedings like when he was itsy bitsy. Made bacon potato chowder today, boy did he scarf that down, lol.

Don't worry, I'll keep my flu in PA. I'm stuck in my own home, so I don't think I'll be making any road trips any time soon, lol. Apparantly it's going around pretty good around here. Half of the people at my work have been out sick, and my boss has reported to me that there are a LOT of people around that are coming down with it. Nobody at hubby's work has gotten it yet though, all of the printing chemicals are probably too much for a little flu bug (lol, well, it's a good theory anyways!) but they did have a stomach virus not too long ago. It really makes you think about how gross the human race is, lol.

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THat sucks that all those folks a work are sick.Normally we get every germ tht floats in the valley , DH goes to all the High schools and colleges so lots of kids there and my kids go to two different schools . Even more germs. I think we have build up imunity.

7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Oh my, teachers and healthcare workers usually have amazing immune systems. I wonder if they start out their careers getting sick a lot, then slow down later in their careers... Yes, I think about weird things.

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:me too> Last night i sat there thinking . Who was the first person that thought it would be a good idea cutting the buds/flowers of a thistle remove the choke and eat it. Or who thought i was a great idea to marinade olives in oil or brine for a year to make them edible. After trying them raw for one time i woulf spit them out nd never try again. Questions over questions.

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. Exactly. The thing is, people weren't too good to die back then from something stupid, like eating a poisonous berry, so why were they crazy enough to experiment like they did?!

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:I am glad I am not the only one that has wondered about this stuff.
    can you imagine being the first one to try a tomato?

BTW. I am still recovering from the flu(had it two weeks ago. My daughter had it the same week and was home. Got better so off to school she went. Has been home since last Friday with me(silver lining on being laid off) with a fever that keeps spiking and a nasty cough that makes her throw up. She is on antibiotics and cough medicine. was up all night long hacking and just now passed out on the couch. I am done with winter. My mom has the norovirus last week and still isnt "right" which stinks because she has to take care of her dh who has limited mobility due to a stroke 3 years ago. Yup done with winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by