So lost with this duckling, help please! Mallard? Runner? Mix? *Pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LilDucky85, Apr 22, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I hatched Pekin eggs, and got 2 surprise mystery ducklings (one died the day after pipping). I asked the breeder that shipped them to me about this, and he said a few Runners or Runner-Pekin mix could have got mixed in the bunch. He said if a runner it would be a Fawn and White Runner. I’ve looked up pictures but the fawn and white Runners dont have the distinctive eye pattern that mine has. They are all blotchy or speckled, but mine has a symmetrical pattern on either side. As time goes on mine seems to be getting darker instead of a lighter fawn color. It also doesnt stand upright like a runner does. I've looked up different breeds of ducklings, and Mallards seem to be consistent with what my duck looks like. Im assuming it is a mix of some kind because the legs are black (actually look like fishnet stockings) and then fade at the ankle to a peach coloring. Everything on it is symmetrical though so I'm lost. Is there any specific details that I should look for? Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help with an ID, but just had to comment on the cuteness of ducks in a sink! [​IMG]

How adorable is that?

3. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Oh great, now I need duckies! [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it looks a little like a Rouen mix. (Rouens are flightless cousins of the Mallard.) or could it be that a wild duck got in and mated with his girls?

does it stand upright when walking, or low? runners stand upright and look like they are starving. [​IMG]

5. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    No it seems to be walking just like the rest of them. Ive been watching his walk but no signs of a runner so far. The breeder said if a Runner-Pekin mix it would walk like a Pekin, and Look like a Runner. So I'm lost!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    What a cute picture of the duckies in the sink.... Makes me want to go out and get some ducks....

[​IMG]

7. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Woohoo! I should post a bunch so that more people get out and get some! Everyone should own at least 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by