so lucky!

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
there is a feral cat running around who has discovered my chicks. their run is predator proof, so i am not worried about it as long as we shut them up in time. the cat doesnt come around until it is almost too dark to see. well the other night, we forgot to shut them up nice and early, so when we went out to lock them up, we see this cat high-tailing it away from the coop. i just KNEW that stupid cat had gotten one of my chicks. but no, i went outside just in time, she hadnt gotten anyone. so we set a live trap for her. with a can of tuna. and then it was her turn to get lucky. she must have stuck her paw in the can, and scooted it off the trigger part, and she got to eat the whole can undisturbed. so tonight we are gonna secure the tuna to the trap. i just dont know what we are gonna do with her when we catch her. i love animals, but if they want to eat my girls, they gotta go!

You may have a low cost spay/neuter program in your area.
smile.png

Also, remember that the cat will be very little danger to your chicks once they get bigger -- and she would even help to protect them by keeping the rodent population down.
big_smile.png

Good luck!

I'm glad you got to her before she got to your chicks.

Good luck catching her. I agree with amazondoc that you may want to keep her around (after the spay). Just make sure you lock up the chicks until they are full grown and she shouldn't bother them at that point. (Having said that I've heard people say that cats killed their full grown chickens - it just doesn't happen often).

I have seven cats and have never lost a chicken to them. I too have chicks and keep them in a very secure run while they are little enough to catch the eyes of my kitties.

If you have a Humane Society or Pound, you can always take her there also.

We support an average of 25 ferals, so we have no rodents whatever! If you can keep her separated, she'll make a grand rodent-slayer. You probably know that where there is one feral there are many! We used the cats to predator-proof our coop and run. So far, so good!

well we caught A cat, not the one we were trying to catch. and this one looks waaay more wild than the other one. so i guess i will have to set up the trap one more night yet. and my chicks are locked up at night, but their run isnt huge, and i just cant see keeping them locked up 24/7 until they are full grown. they spend the day in my fenced in garden area, so i think they are safe in there, but that thing is by no means predator proof, so i think dh is going to relocate her. i dont want to put her down, so i guess thats whats gonna happen.

oh boo, i went outside and she was so pathetic and meowing that i just let her go. i figure she might stay further away from the coop now at least. and there is no vet within 150 miles, so the spay/neuter thing is not really an option.

Back
Top Bottom