So mad at my 2 broody's!!! stupid chooks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueskylen, Jun 17, 2010.

1. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i have 2 broody black austrolorps - sitting now for over 2 weeks. yesterday afternoon when I went into the coop - BOTH of them are in different nest boxes, and the eggs they had been so loving to are stone cold! about 14 eggs ruined. i had to throw them out, and I saw that most of them had been developing.

should I section off the coop and just leave them and the 2 new nests screened off?- or try to break themout of broody, since they have been on nests for so long already?

thanks for any replys

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    You probably didnt need to throw them out, a lot of us have had eggs get cold and still hatch.They are pretty resiliant.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:agreed
    my first batch of eggs that were given to me were already incubated by the hens(we didn't know, we thought they were fresh). They sat out all day while we made an incubator and they started hatching a bit later, staggered over more than a week [​IMG]

4. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    OH NO! i thought that if they got cold for a few hours - that they would not hatch. now i feel badly that i didn't check here first and got rid of them.
    from what I had read about incubating, it sounded like that if everything was not pretty perfect - temp,humidity,turning,etc. - that they would not hatch. it must be different if a hen is doing it or an incubator then.

i think that i'll go ahead and put these 2 and the 2 nest boxes in another area with their own food and water. should have done that in the first place .

5. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    mine were cold for awhile also and they hatched

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by