so mad at my lazy chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mener6896, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I bought 2 red sexlinks, and they started laying at 18 weeks. I have 30 other breeds (RIR, New Hampshire, buff orp, cochin, wyandottes, sussex, etc.) all 21 weeks and not a single egg from any of them!!!

I am so frustrated!! My 2 older girls (who are now 30 weeks) are faithfully laying 1 egg/ day each! They even give me a double yolker every couple of weeks.

Is there anything I can do to prompt them? The older girls never had a roo around until I got the new bunch of chickens, so could it be because of the roos? I always thought they would prompt the girls to lay (btw, the 3 boys are 21 weeks too)

I hate being patient, but I'm about to threaten to turn them into chicken dinner! [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I think most everyone on here has been there one time or another. Have a little more patience, they should start laying for you soon. [​IMG] I know, it does get frustrating. [​IMG]

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

It is frustrating, especially when one lays early and the rest fail to follow suit. I have 3 EE at 26 weeks. Only one has been laying since 21 weeks. The other two girls are not even interested in checking out the nest boxes or giving me that delightful squat (of course, the laying EE never did either!) I have 12 other birds, 7 that are 21 weeks old. 4 of the 21 week olds have been squatting for 1-3 weeks, and for the past 2 days one of them has been laying lovely little eggs in the box (even got my EE going in the box instead of the coop floor!). I expect my other 3 squatters to be giving me eggs soon. I'm not going to allow myself to be upset w/my late EE's till they hit the 30 week age. I believe the "average" age for laying is 22 weeks, so for every early one you hear about, there has to be a late one too:rolleyes:

With the shorter days, if you're really wanting them to lay you may have to add a light source to the coop to simulate 12-14 hour days. Roos do nothing to prompt the egg laying...just the baby making:p

4. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    If it makes you feel any better I have 3 SLW's that are 34 weeks old and not a single egg from any of them. I think my dog will lay before they will!

5. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

I have approx. fifty birds all hatched before 6/15/09 and I've had an average of 4 eggs/day from my coop(s). If you really want eggs, take an extension cord and a 'clamp lamp' to your coop. Hang it from the ceiling and leave it on all the time. We did this last year and it helped. We're not that worried about this time.

6. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    The breeds you mentioned are "heavies" they take longer to mature. Be patient! [​IMG]

7. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Knowing the little snots in my coop, I'll pass an egg out of my butt before they do.

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

With the change in daylight, it may take them a bit longer to get going. Sex Links do tend to lay earlier and more dependably during the shorter day seasons.

Patience, patience patience. I know it's hard to wait for those first eggs.

9. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Mine are 29 and 31 weeks. I feel your pain. Unfortunately, we got our dog fixed, so I'm giving up on the egg thing...

10. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

go get a K.F.C. box & walk by the girls, make REAL sure they see it!! [​IMG]

note- bojangles, churches, & popeyes will also work! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by