So mad...the "sexed chicks" seem to be 5 out of 9 males

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkerChickens, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 9 chicks that were all suppose to be sexed pullets. I get the 90% accuracy and would be fine with 1 male. 5 are from one feed store and 4 are from another.

But, two are no doubt males..red combs/pink faces at ~6-8 weeks old. (Delaware and Barred Rock)

Another 3 have very pale pink on their combs and face amongst the yellow, which makes me think they are makes too. (Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock and Leghorn) ( should note the BR has the female traits of small, darker feathers and feet, so maybe she is just splotchy, pale pink and yellow at an early age. [​IMG]

4 are definitely females (Rhode Island Red and 3 EEs...the 3 EEs are the from the second feed store)

That means of the 5 from the first feed store, 4 are males. That is worse odds than a straight run! [​IMG]

Very frustrating!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear that, I got 1 out of 7, one thing I am learning is to look at the legs and feet when you pick them out, if one looks even a little stockier I put it back. [​IMG]

3. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    If you are supposed to have 90% accuracy and you are 90% wrong ain't that reason for exchange for 90% right? Just wondering.

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I guess we did better with four boys out of 14 chicks. I'd have been happier with just one.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is frustrating. If they are from the sexed pullet bin, it sounds like someone at that first feed store got real careless or doesn't understand what is supposed to go on. Once I was sure, I'd probably take a photo in and talk to the manager. I would not take a belligerant attitude but more of an "I'd like to inform you what happened so maybe you can watch out for it next year" attitude. A decent manager might offer compensation and should appreciate the feedback. Not all managers are decent.

If you had picked from a straight run bin, that mix is not that unheard of. Some people are pretty good at picking females so that leaves more males behind. And from just pure straight run odds those numbers are not that rare. I've got six pullets out of six from a straight run from a hatchery before and my hatches have been split 2 to 1 a few times. But out of a pullet bin, that is worth complaining about.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    My chicks will arrive this week, and I've been thinking about the possible outcomes. The way I figure it, the 90% accuracy refers to each chick. If that's right, then there is 4 in 10 chance that I'll get one male out of 8 ordered. I also figure that the 90% is an estimate, and that some breeds are more difficult than others. If statistics were the same as luck, I'd tell you to go out and buy a lottery ticket.

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    i have about 14 from the pullet bins - one ended up being a banty rooster - so far the rest are looking pullet...

i did ask them about any refunds if i ended up with males - none of course but with that many males in the mix as OP had - I would really at least ask for some consideration - especially if you shop there a lot

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Chemguy...if you are ordering from the hatchery, I wouldn't worry as 90% is a pretty good estimate. It's this particular feed store. We have bought 20 "pullets" over the last few years (plus another 52 of a straight run from a hatchery) and the first 11 were all girls (from the Feed store A), 5 from the Feed Store B, of which 4 are boys, and 4 from Feed Store C, which 1 is a boy.

Why didn't I go to Feed Store A? It is the furthest away and he didn't have the breeds that I was interested in purchasing. Great guy though and has has his bins set up that no one can mix and match and mix anything up. He knows his chickens!

Feed store B sucks, but they had only one bin of sexed pullets, so I figured they couldn't be mixed up (plus I could tell breeds apart).

Feed store C is our regular feed store and they finally got in chicks after I got ones from Feed Store B. I specifically looked at the barred rock for darker color, the smaller spot and dark legs...I am very surprised the barred rock is slightly pink with yellow since "he" is SMALL compared to the other barred rock, very dark and everything that looks female.

I called Feed Store B to complain. She said that if they were boys, then they'd all be crowing by now and that girls turn red too. [​IMG] I told her that clearly she has never actually owned chickens raised from chicks. [​IMG]

9. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Don't count that BR as a roo just yet... mine had a red comb too at 4 weeks... I went and saw a bunch of BR hens and they had alot of red on them too, more than other breeds.... one thing I have been told repeatedly is BR roos have yellow legs and the pullets have black on them. Mine has black stripes on legs and feet so I am hoping that despite the red comb and waddles that its still a she. Time will tell.... mine was sexed too at a 90% accuracy and this totally blows those numbers if it is really a roo.

[​IMG]

Quote:

10. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I got two roos out of 31. Trying to figure out what to do with them myself...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by