1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SO MAD!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by raeleigh26, Mar 30, 2016.

1. raeleigh26

raeleigh26 New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Okay, age many years of raising chickens, I'd finally gotten enough business from hatching, selling birds, and selling eggs that they paid for themselves and the rabbits.
    I posted over winter about my new neighbors, who brought in 20 something birds from several different farms and store bought. ...and decided they'd free range also, and their coop would be set 200 feet from mine, not that they had a choice, or any reason to be concerned, but. ...
    I do believe (simply because there was no previous illness or exposure to other birds ) that their birds brought in coryza.
    I went from 35 to 12 birds in 2 weeks, swollen eyes, retched smell, diarrhea, unbelievable amount of snot.
    They lost about half their birds too,and we discussed then that my birds were a (small, but necessary) part of my income, and they'd need to be disposed of. I offered to hatch out eggs for them, and they agreed, being in the middle of the horrific event.
    Now, my son tells me they have new chicks, so I warned her about reinfection, they're carriers. ..
    She said her friend who raises chickens said is just ar respiratory infection and not to worry about it. ..
    There gonna pen their birds and keep them. ...
    So. . Do I just give up on my chickens? It's not an option to move them, and I'd have to pen them as well, I could wait, if it strikes again and kills their new birds maybe then they'll listen?
    I very much like my neighbors, I'm not blaming them, but I don't want to risk putting money I don't have into rebuilding my flock only to have them get sick and die such horrible deaths again, and I need the income.
    Advice? Options?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would wait until those birds die of there's and wait a week or two until everyting is disposed of before there is still a chance of infecting ur birds again I wouldn't deal with them I would worry about my own stuff and let them ignore u

3. raeleigh26

raeleigh26 New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Well, that's what I'll have to do, but around here, you can only buy chicks from the farm store 2 months out of the year, and I'd planned on buying Cornish cross to raise up to fill my freezer for the next 6 months until I have my own back in order,
    If both flocks are penned, and I put the Cornish in an off the ground cage as far as possible (guessing half a football field to the other end of my property) how likely are they to become infected?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm honestly not sure about how effective preventing disease spreading may be, but in the future you may possibly wish to consider vaccinating your flock against Newcastle disease and infectious bronchitis (among others, possibly). If you get the vaccines in sufficiently large quantities, you could also offer to vaccinate your neighbour's flock as well.

I can appreciate your frustration.

all the best
    CT

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yikes, that's a tough one. You may want to ask this in the Diseases forum. There are some members there, casportpony in particular, who are familiar with poultry diseases and could probably give you some good advice.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

I would honestly think it can still spread I am just not sure how long it could happen to spread but before they go and put there birds outside to spread from there last remaining birds or the disease spread over to ur yard and infects ur birds also if u don't have a fence to keep there birds from coming over to ur yard I would reccomend putting one up if possible because if u make profits and a living off ur birds I wouldnt give up its ur neighbors fault that u lost ur birds and u tryed telling them but they didn't listen. Is there like a number u can call to have there birds tested without npip certification

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Coryza is transmitted through direct contact, airborne droplets and contamination of drinking water. *I* wouldn't feel great about bringing in new birds with their infected flock being just 200ft away from yours. The typical remedy is an all in, all out cull. Since they've kept their infected birds, and added new chicks, they're building a flock of birds that are unhealthy and carriers of a chronic disease. You can vaccinate for coryza.

Their chicken friend is correct, coryza is a respiratory illness, an acute respiratory illness. You might explain to your neighbors that chickens do not get colds though, they get chronic respiratory diseases that they carry for life. And, as carriers, they can transmit that illness to other birds even while appearing healthy themselves. And, of course, they can relapse back into illness with any little stress and their nightmare will start all over again. No matter how many new chicks they buy to replace the ones that succumb.

If they were my neighbors, I'd go onto Google, print out an overview on infectious coryza (and respiratory illnesses in chickens in general) and present that information to them (and maybe they'll show it to their chicken friend and everyone can educate themselves a little).

I'm so sorry, this is a horrible situation to be dealing with. Especially when the (most likely) responsible party doesn't want to :hugs

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya when one of my birds dies I am like a chicken hospital I have the coop completely stripped down cribbing everything with bleach and al sorts of stuffi rake out there run add some stuff to there water I just can't afford to keep replacing my birds

9. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

Great info!!!

10. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

That and it's not about replacing my birds it about the sentimental value they are to me they all have names and stay until they die

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by