So mad

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by duckncover, Jun 9, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    My town confiscated my cuckoo marans!!!

The were shipped off to a farm and now I have a $300 fine to pay for breaking zoning laws...

I don't know what to say...[​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Wow, so sorry! They should have given you a chance to rehome them yourself I would think.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Did they have a court order for the confiscation? If not they violated your due process.

4. Eggtastic

Eggtastic In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Ireland
    <----- Irish person.....what are zoning laws??[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Laws that say what kinds of activities (industrial, commercial, residential) are allowed on your property. Zoning laws vary from town to town and state to state. In some areas, unless your land is zoned agricultural, you can't have chickens.

6. Eggtastic

Eggtastic In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Ireland
    Seriously??? So then you would have to move if you wanted to keep animals in a non-argicultural zone....or what??[​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sometimes you can get a variance. Or you can petition to get the local laws changed. Sometimes moving is the only answer.

I live in an unincorporated area of the county (as in I am not within city limits). It is a suburban area. I can have ducks or chickens with no problems. If I lived in the city of Fountain (to the South of me) I wouldn't be allowed to have either. If I lived in Colorado Springs (to the North of me), I could have up to 10 chickens depending on square footage, but no roosters.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  8. Eggtastic

Eggtastic In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Ireland
    My god......and I thought the legal requirements here were bad enough, at least I will always be allowed chicks no matter where I live..........hell of a lot of paper work though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: