(So MADDD!!!!!!!) Dogs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmgirlie1031, Dec 6, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Last night somebodies dogs scared our sheep off the property through the fence and also our horses. Our sheep came right back home but our poor horses got chased through the fence and then chased 5 more miles!!!!! I am so MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had seen the dog I would have shot it myself but we did not see the dog only saw all of it's tracks chasing right behind the horses and all over the pasture. There was snow which made following the tracks fairly easy thankfully. We followed the dogs and horses tracks for 5 miles through corn fields and gravel roads before we found the terrified but luckily pretty much unharmed horses just at the opening of deer shotgun season today. I was so scared one of us or our horses would be shot. I had hunter orange on and called the neighbor's to tell them I would be in their field and they told all the hunter's coming to their place to be on the lookout for us and our horses. Finally we caught them in a fenced off corn field only about a mile from the highway. I am so upset and I would have SSS that dog if only I had seen what dog it was. This is the 1st time we have ever had this problem and I really hope it never ever happens again. The fence is still torn down as we were exhausted after the chase but the horses are safely put in a smaller pen and the sheep are locked tightly in a stall until we can fix all the torn down fencing. Luckily we has electric tape that broke instead of barbed wire that would have torn the heck out of the animals that would of went through that instead. The horses have minor cuts but nothing major and I am very thankful for that but mad it even happened in the 1st place. I do know 3 dogs that are not at fault and those are our 3 dogs who were all in the house where they belong and not out chasing people's livestock and pets. Now if only the neighbor's would not let their dog's roam all over the place. I am 99.9% sure it was their dogs but unfornuntaly I have no proof and am not about to start a war without 100% proof it was their dog. My chickens were all safe in their barn but they were squaking and upset about all the noise outside.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good that you found your horses! Too much drama! Seems like people just dont really care enough about their dogs to keep them safe and contained.

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Sure glad that nobody was hurt in this. Sorry but the work of putting those fences back is going to really upset ya tomorrow. I hate fencing [​IMG]

Again glad everyone is ok, this could of been so much worse.

4. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    I'm very sorry to here that. We used to have those problems untill we went to the neighbors houses and told them the next time we will shot to kill their dogs. It stopped the problem. I'm a dog lover and a dog owner but if they are on your property attacking your stock, you have the right to protect it. Also you could get a donkey. I've heard that a donkey will attack dogs. good luck

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    sure they could get a donkey, but why should they have to incur tha expense? and maybe they don't want a donkey.. I am not picking on you, but I see this remedy come up over and over.. we all know that a donkey is supposed to be a good guardian.. I persnnally do not want a donkey..I want a horse but I do not hae the room or facilities for one,,,but the immediate and true remedy is to have people keep their dogs home..

6. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    (Edited by staff. Questioning moderation publicly is not allowed. If you have a problem regarding moderation please contact a moderator or Nifty, the board admin/owner. )

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    we just had our own problems with stray dogs. Problem is a lot of times you never figure out whose dogs they are. We didn't, fortunately, all of our chickens were ok. When I was young I remember some stray dogs coming to our yard and killing our cat, right in front of my Father, who tried to beat them off with a baseball bat. I don't remember what happened to the dogs that time, if anything did, but it left permanent emotional scars, certainly for my Father, and also for me. Stray or wild dogs can be very dangerous.

8. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:thats right they dont have to be a neighbors pet they could be dogs just running thru,hard to say thet is why the SSS,harsh ,maybe but that is the BEST way to be over and done,just make sure you do the shutup part

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    SSS is the best. Especially if they start to pack up. Even a very "sweet" dog in a pack is nothing more than a predator and will act like one.

For those that say it's not the dog's fault, a dog is just an animal, in this case a predator that needs to be dealt with.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I can't get a donkey. The landlord would not allow it. My one mare is really good at taking care of dogs as she had to have over 99 stitches in her face after a dog chased her at a boarding stable into a barbed wire fence. If that dog had went after her it would have been kicked but instead it went after 2 of the others that just ran and ran while my other 3 horses stayed in the pasture. And it never would have happened if people didn't just let their dogs run everywhere like they like to do out here because their thinking is they are out in the country so they won't hurt anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by