So many boys??

FroggyFarm331

Hatching
Sep 10, 2020
Hello! I'm meredith and these arent my first birds but they're my first babies if that makes sense haha. We would let the hens raise whatever chicks they had usually but this year the foxes were quite bold and we lost most of our flock. Anyway onto my question!

We bought what we were told were 9 light brahma pullets from tractor supply during their dollar clearance.

We now have a rather obvious red EE and 8 light brahmas. My concern is 1 out of the 8 is significantly smaller. Not underdeveloped she's as fully feathered and chirp clucking with the rest she's just...much smaller.

I am worried we now have 1 tiny hen with 8 roos! (I know the EE is a roo due to him and another white flashing their frills at each other quite often)

Which is when the horrible idea that all of my pet hens are actually roos. I'll post a picture later. Also they're about 5 or 6 weeks old now.

As a size idea my little girl is about one handful big. The rest are at least two hands.

Pictures would help!!! I have 3 LB pullets. They are 18 weeks now. I was convinced one was a roo, she was (and still is) twice as big as her sisters with a red face. But she’s still a pullet! We call her “Big Mama” :love:gig

I always read that Brahmas were slow to mature so I was freaked out when she got so big so fast but it must just be the hatchery stock. I got mine from Townline.

Here's some of Tiny next to a much bigger sibling.
20201005_095118.jpg
20201005_095108.jpg

This isnt forced perspective!! She is just that much smaller!!!
20201005_094930.jpg

And then my friendly little roo. He's such a sweety and walks right up to me.

None of them looks male right now. It's possible that you have a mix of Light Brahmas and Light Brahma bantams, which would explain the size difference. Best bet is to take new photos in a couple of weeks and post again.

Sizes of chicks can be tricky. Your little hen might catch up to the others when she is older.
My amerucana Hattie was by far the biggest chick and we thought for sure she was a rooster. But now our chickens are 8 months old and she is the smallest of all of them! Don't give up on your little chick. I really doubt that all the others are roosters, she could just be the runt of the bunch. Just be careful as your chickens grow up as if she stays smaller than the others, she could be picked on a lot.

Back
Top Bottom