so many breeds please help.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenthumb89, Jun 5, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    really dont know what breed to get. planning on only a couple hens as layers/pets. Had chickens when i was younger, the best one by far was a RIR that would follow me around but anyway was thinking about orpingtons, brahmas, and/or favorelles. Need a cold hardy( i live in wisconsin), gentle nature chicken with personality. open to all suggestions. thanks luke

2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Buckeye might be good for you. They are on the top of my list. I plan to get some eggs and have a hatch in a few weeks. I'm very excited, since they are an endangered breed.

3. wannabechickraiser

wannabechickraiser Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    mypetchicken.com website was very helpful in selecting breeds.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Boy, selecting breeds is HARD. There's so many wonderful chickens out there to choose from!

There are several great web sites with info about lots of breeds. In particular, check out these two:

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart:
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Feathersite:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Have fun, ask questions, and above all (IMHO) TAKE YOUR TIME in figuring out what you want!

You can see what I finally came up with in my sig file, below. None of my final choices were on my original wish list!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. Pike's Peeps B&B

Pike's Peeps B&B Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree trying to pick breeds is hard. [​IMG] I would definitely go with orpingtons. Wyandottes are also a good choice. These 2 breeds are great especially if you want some hardy layers. GOOD LUCK!!!!! [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Welsummers and Orpingtons are the top of my list!

7. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Orpingtons are our fav also love the RIR.

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Just a further note --

I finally decided against Orps because I don't really want such huge birds. Same thing with standard cochins -- size plus feathered feet, which don't appeal to me. But to each their own!

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    RIRs are a very nice breed. I always keep a few around here to lay eggs, even though my main interest is Delawares. I'll probably always have a few RIRs. You just can't beat them much for laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by