So many broody/hatch questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by psimons2004, Dec 14, 2011.

1. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Goodmorning! We have our very first ever hatch day on Christmas Eve (hopefully)...
    And I have NO idea what I am doing. We have always done 2 day old chicks so this is all new!
    My black and white camping hen (who I was absolutely sure was a roo - even crowed) has been
    broody for 11 days now and she is VERY determined. I am very proud of her. She is sitting on 5 eggs,
    that I haven't candled yet but hope to today.

Here are my many questions:
    1) My broody hen looks like crap which is understandable, so did I when I was expecting, LOL.
    But she is loosing all the feathers on her belly. Is that a broody thing? or a molting thing? Bad timing either way it seems.
    She is eating and not feeling so thin as the first few days though so I guess she is doing alright.
    2) Can I leave them out in the coop with the others or will the other chickens kill them? This broody hen is my most aggressive chicken(despite my 2 roos).
    3) If I move them in do I just bring the whole nest box and mama inside a night before they hatch so we can watch?
    4) Do I have to put a light on the chicks once they hatch if mama is still taking care of them or will she keep them warm enough? (Very cold winter nights here in Wyoming).
    5) If I have any chicks actually hatch and I give them medicated feed, will it the mama if she eats it too?

and lastly, and I know this one is weird.... 6) Last week I posted two ER post about one chicken who broke off the top of her beak and a bantum roo with what I thought was frost bite.
    Turns out he just got his but kicked by out silkie roo who is coming into his own a bit later than the little bantum d'unccle roo. Well They are all getting along without anymore bloodshed, but the little rooster that got beat up has literally been under my broody's wing with the eggs ever since. He is scared and she is protecting him while he heals. It is really quite sweet and like I said she is more aggressive than either of my roos and the only one that can keep the silkie roo in line. The bantum literally has not left her side, he eats when she eats, etc. and hasn't hurt the eggs, yet. The roos didn't start fighting until the day this hen went broody so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. And is she only protecting him because she is broody right now? So here is my question, if I bring her in to hatch her eggs for a few days, do I bring him too? LOL. I know this sounds absurd but he literally has been sitting underneath her with the eggs for over a week now and he is very attatched. She doesn't seem to mind at all... I don't wanna leave him high and dry. Thanks for the advice!!!! So excited! Hope we get at least one!!!! What a cool Christmas Eve tradition that would make!!!

2. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Dont feel alone I am in the same boat as you. I have the same questions, and will be watching this thread. My eggs are due on christmas day how exciting. I have two little girls also. I bet they are anxious to. Good Luck!!!![​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here are my many questions:
    1) My broody hen looks like crap which is understandable, so did I when I was expecting, LOL.
    But she is loosing all the feathers on her belly. Is that a broody thing? or a molting thing? Bad timing either way it seems.
    She is eating and not feeling so thin as the first few days though so I guess she is doing alright.
    2) Can I leave them out in the coop with the others or will the other chickens kill them? This broody hen is my most aggressive chicken(despite my 2 roos).
    3) If I move them in do I just bring the whole nest box and mama inside a night before they hatch so we can watch?
    4) Do I have to put a light on the chicks once they hatch if mama is still taking care of them or will she keep them warm enough? (Very cold winter nights here in Wyoming).
    5) If I have any chicks actually hatch and I give them medicated feed, will it the mama if she eats it too?

1. Broodies lose the feathers and nest with them. My broodies usually molt after brooding, too.
    2. You can leave the broody there, but other hens WILL kill the chicks if they can get to them.
    3. I move the broody (under cover, in the dark) to a safe place to brood. They do not need to be inside the house.
    4. No light needed. Mama hen will take care of that.
    5. Medicated feed will not hurt the mama.

Personally, I would not move the little rooster with the broody.​

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't candle my eggs that broodies are setting. Well, when they hatch I check the remaining eggs.

5. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:1. Broodies lose the feathers and nest with them. My broodies usually molt after brooding, too.
    2. You can leave the broody there, but other hens WILL kill the chicks if they can get to them.
    3. I move the broody (under cover, in the dark) to a safe place to brood. They do not need to be inside the house.
    4. No light needed. Mama hen will take care of that.
    5. Medicated feed will not hurt the mama.

Personally, I would not move the little rooster with the broody.

I need a like button, LOL. Thank you so much!!!!! Awesome! all my questions answered!!!!! You're the best!

6. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:Yay! Another chicken friend! I am so excited for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day eggs!!! And I have two little girls two. Santa may have to come late if we are awake watching eggs, LOL. My daughters are 6 and almost 8. How about yours?

7. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:Is it really bad to candle them if I do it quickly? I can do it fast and in the coop if I turn out the light in there. I just don't want to get my kids all 'eggcited' and then none of them are fertilized....

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I agree. She rips out her belly feathers on purpose. The only problem I see is moving her nest with eggs. I've done this before and broody hen got off the eggs and moved back to her original nest. If you can, screen her in on the 19th day, or use cardboard. If you need to move her elsewhere I'd wait until she hatches at least one chick, then move chick and remaining eggs...then she will stay in the new place. I always candle on the 10th day and that's it. I also use a heat lamp only in the morning if it's below freezing so the chicks can eat and drink w/out getting too cold. Don't let any of your laying hens eat the medicated starter, you'll have to throw away the eggs. It's ok for broody mom until she starts laying again, about 6-8 wks. after the chicks are born.

9. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Quote:Oh fantastic info!!! Thanks!!!!

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I do candle the eggs to prevent any exploding eggs. If you see just clear eggs then throw them out after candling or you might have a stinky mess. If you see any blobs keep those eggs...they are developing embryos!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by