1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So many changes at the Cardboard Corral.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theoldchick, Apr 18, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Anybody who has animals is always trying to do things to their environment to keep the occupants happy. Zoos call it environmental enrichment and surprisingly (but not to those who have children) the most expensive toy is ignored.

Here are a few things I did to encourage my chick's curiosity.

Shredded paper was a hit with the gals and one or two cockerals
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting food in a cut-down card board box was a bit hit. They absolutely love scratching about in it and have not pooped in it yet.
    [​IMG]

Putting the waterer on a block of wood caused great excitement
    [​IMG]

I changed the substrate again to recycled crumbled paper and sat down with the chicks.
    [​IMG]

They love sitting on my fat soft leg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My shoe is always entertaining to them
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Large piece of bread was rather alarming
    [​IMG]

But they figured it out when I broke it up for them. They were really chirping!
    [​IMG]

And they look for what's next!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    They are SO cute !!! Love the pics and quips !

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I so thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and narrative!!

My chicks love my soft, fat leg, too - it's a favorite roosting spot. Because the bathroom is their Nursery, but they are learning how to get out of (and back into) their brooders, I often find them awaiting my arrival, perched on the toilet seat. (I learned to take the fuzzy cover off it - I'd rather wipe up poo than keep washing that cover!)

But this means they are accomplished at jump/hop/flying to that spot, and when I am sitting there, semi-clothed, they still want to visit with me. I have a towel handy to drape across my lap.

I love that "periscope" look around in the last photo - that's one of the cutest actions, regardless of their ages!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Periscope- I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by