So Many eggs Out of so few hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyheart, Nov 18, 2008.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    How in the heck did I end up with 22 eggs in 2 days out of 8 hens? I thought they only layed once a day?

2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    You sure you couldn't have missed some in the previous days? That seems rather odd! What kind of hens ya raising over there? [​IMG]

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    IDk. That seems like someone is playing a trick on you. It is true they only lay one a day. Ask your neighboors, friends, and relatives if they know anything about it. Act like all you know is that they only lay 1 a day. See what they say.lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:eek:

4. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Also, what type of hens do you have?? Over in my corner of Ohio I only get 1 a day from each hen!!!

5. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Nope didnt miss any...I personally collect them all myself every afternoon after work when I let the out to free range. I have 4 white rock and 4 brahmas, and hopefully soon a few golden laced wyandottes [​IMG] I guess my girls are happy or something. Everyone tells me they are so fat but I dont think they are, I think they are perfect!

6. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    My neighbor doesnt bother my girls he likes them because they get rid of the moles in his yard, besides he is gone hunting this week.

7. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I dont know what it could be then? Ask your relatives??? I dont know???

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yup! Sounds like someone is spoofing ya! [​IMG] OR, maybe I should get me some of those kinds of hens!

9. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    No I dont think my hubby would do it as we sell the eggs to people at his work. Certainly not my daughter as she hates going out there she says the straw makes her itch and she always gets something stuck in her eye so she has to run out of there [​IMG]
    I think she just hates cleaning the pen [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First, I think the likeliest explanation is in the details of what time each day they are laying. Forget for a moment what the books say about 23 hr laying cycles, which IME does not match all that well what sexlinks (at least) do. Say you collect eggs at 6 pm each day. You collect eggs at 6 pm on Monday. Between then and nightfall, a few 'tardy' hens lay a couple few eggs. Then everybody lays once on Tuesday (and you collect 'em at 6), then on Wednesday everbody lays once but they all happen to do it *before* your 6 o'clock collection. In that apparently two-day period you will have gotten two eggs out of each hen PLUS however many "late" eggs there were on monday. You know?

It is actually possible for a hen to pop out two, or even three, eggs per day. It is really rare tho and I highly, highly doubt that several of your hens happened to do it simultaneously. (The hen I had that did some multiple-egg days died a few months later of reproductive troubles, btw). So my money is REALLY on the 'oddities of timing" explanation above.

Have fun (and an omlet! <g>),

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by