So many eggs - so little time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saranbensmom, Sep 6, 2008.

1. saranbensmom

saranbensmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    I need your expertise and advice. I have eggs with more eggs coming - about 100 altogether. I have 4 game hens and an LG, but my game hens decided to go on strike. 1 just hatched her own "unauthorized" eggs, one is setting on "unauthorized eggs", and 2 refuse to set (they have already hatched a brood for me this year - does that mean they've done their job for the season?)(obviously, they are free range). So, I bought an HB 1620 and it's coming up to temp. I had the LG started, with 15 showgirls, 4 d'uccles, and 4 silkies. DH decided the thermometer I had in there was wrong and adjusted the temp. When I got home, the LG was at 110! Yikes! Are their "gooses cooked"? Also, what is your suggestion for dividing the eggs - split or like eggs together? If the LG is well used and has a turner, the HB is new, but no turner - which should I trust more? Can I slip some under the broody hen - she's into this about 7-10 days? This probably sounds like a no-brainer to y'all, but I'm flustered and paranoid that I'll lose all my eggs! I'd appreciate some input. [​IMG]

2. saranbensmom

Aug 16, 2008
    Well, since no one replied to my call for help, I had to make a decision. I put a portion of each to fill the new HB, put a select few of most, but not of each, under the setting game hen - took her eggs and the remaining bought eggs and put them in the old LG. I candled the 10 eggs I got from the game hen and all 10 are developing. Here we go - wish me luck! [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I sunds like you made the best choices under the circumstances. [​IMG] Sending awesome, happy, hatching vibes your way. Good luck and sorry your question didn't get answered and you had to make the decision with no help.

4. saranbensmom

Aug 16, 2008
    Thanks for the vibes!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by