1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So many flies... ugh

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, Aug 1, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    What in the world do you do about all the flies? I feel like I'm pretty good about raking up the poo in their run... and then I "lightly" sprinkle some DE over it... which I ran out of this evening. I've also been sprinkling it over their bedding in their henhouse. Should I be dumping the stuff? It seems like they multiply overnight. And, they are now all over my yard. I do not walk all over the yard looking for their poo. Do you? It's so annoying.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephanie

2. chickenhobby1

chickenhobby1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    central Mi.
    Hello If your coop is large enough could you put fly tape in there?

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    adding a few inches of sand to our run cut the flies by at least 80%

4. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    We plan on doing sand soon. But honestly, the flies are just as bad in the yard as the run. I just laid down the last of my DE so I'm hoping that'll help.

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    The flies have been HORRIBLE here in westerm MD. We have just been dilligent about using the DE and fly paper and fly traps. We still have them, but not as bad. We r also getting some Cayuga ducks because they r BIG insect eaters! We do the deep litter method and sprinkle the DE on top and then use a pitch fork and turn the straw and the DE mixes in and dries up the poop very well. Good luck!

6. JeffJustJeff

JeffJustJeff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I got Muscovy ducks because I read that they can reduce your fly population by 80%. I haven't had flies very bad, so it could be true. I started with them, so I have no baseline.

7. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

How about a guinea?

8. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    please know that guinea hens are VERY loud and quite ugly and can be pretty aggressive toward chicks if you have them. ive had them KILL chicks THROUGH A FENCE! i have no idea how or why but be carefull about getting them.

and depending on where you live if you go to a feed store there should be fly and wasp bags (usually yellow) that work magic! i use them around the barn!

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:we have used the fly bags too and they have worked for us

10. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    fly predators. heard they work great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by