so many flies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehbcrew, Jul 11, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    So i have 6 chicks/chickens there about 10 weeks old now. Just curious about the fly population from all the chicken poop. Does anyone put out those sticky fly traps at all? I'm afraid they might try to jump up and peck at it. Maybe there is something else i can put out. Just looking for suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I've seen people post that vanilla air fresheners for your car work well when hung around the cage.

3. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
  4. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Guess im going to make a trip to Lowes, never seen that at home depot near me. We have a Lowes currently being built but i think that is going to be a few more months. As far as the Bag with pennies, i know people that swear by it, and have even seen it in restaurants by me by the water and such, i just dont think they are going to stop in such a large area especially with poop on the menu.

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    we have been OVERRUN with flies this year. They r terrible! We had a really wet spring and I think just produced more. We use the DE and the sticky fly paper. We have 28 teenage chicks and they haven't bothered the fly paper at all. We change the paper every day or every other day tho. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Do you use the deep litter method or areyou talking outside of the coop? If you rake up the poops and compost them that seems to help in my area anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by