So Many Opinions!!!!! **HELP**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckking, May 16, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    First time hatcher, so any advice would be welcome!

Have 2 mallard/rouen eggs and 1 full rouen egg in incubator (Brinsea Mini Advanced). Today is hatch day (Day 28)

One mallard/rouen pipped and hatched yesterday within 2 hours. Just bulldozed out of the shell. She/He is fluffed, chirpy and active and has been in the incubator almost 24 hours. Keeps poking the side of the brooder and peeping whenever she sees me or my son come in. Should I move it to the brooder?

One Mallard/Rouen tented (cracked the shell) and then externally pipped 24 hours ago. Peeping and poking her bill through the hole, but not seeing anymore progress in 24 hours. Does it need help? And if so what should I do? The membrane around the hole is dryish, so I dampened it with a Q-tip, but I don't see any membrane around what I can see of the duckling in the shell, just a bill that keeps poking through and peeping.

One Rouen egg with a beautiful air cell, candled it and I am not seeing any movement. Is it dead? Should I just leave it for a while longer?

Temp is at 99.6 and humidity was around 73, but I boosted it up to about 80 to see if that would help the pipped chick.

I have researched on BYC and am more confused than ever!!!!

***EDIT*** It has managed to push a little bit more shell off it seems. The other duckling grabbed it and ate it! Shall I get the healthy one out and into the brooder or wait?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Don't open it if at all possible until all the ducklings hatch. Ducks can take FOREVER to hatch and it is not uncommon to see slow progress even 24 hours later. Good luck with the rest of the hatch, waiting is that hardest part.

3. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks so much for your response. It's my first time and I'm like mom waiting to give birth. So nervous!!!

Patience, patience, patience. It was just that the first one pipped and was out in just over 2 hours! We are calling her/him Speedy!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Welcome, it is never easy to wait be it the first time or 200th.

5. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Just went in to start helping the 'stuck' duckling and SHE HATCHED!!!!!! Maybe raising the humidity to 80% was all she needed [​IMG]

She's wet and looks like a drowned rat, but she's holding her head up and peeping. The other duckling is staying right beside her. [​IMG]

Now for that Rouen egg......watching and waiting.....

My son is going to be soooooo thrilled. He left for school so worried about her/him.

6. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    That is so exciting!! and so happy that things worked out for you. [​IMG]

7. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks so much. I cannot tell you how excited we are! Once the new one is fluffed out, they'll both go into the brooder. I hated the thought of just having the one in the brooder alone!

Thanks to all for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by