So many Plymouth Barred Rock chicks! (Four photos)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mtsmylie, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mtsmylie

mtsmylie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Pullman, WA
    This was our first attempt at incubating/hatching, and of the 33 eggs we put into the Little Giant, we ended up with 28 happy, health chicks, which was more than we were even hoping for! They're the cutest things in the world, and are chirping away inside the brooder I put together for them. The final chick in the incubator was having a lot of trouble getting out, so I had to open the egg up for him, but he turned out just fine, which was a relief.

PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    awww i love my barred rocks, will be incubating some of mine and some others i have got from others...
    they are adorable

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    That is great that you did so well with the bator. My friend has a little giant and he got 6 out of four dozen! He is looking into why the bator did this.

4. mtsmylie

mtsmylie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Pullman, WA
    Quote:Beginner's luck, maybe?

We'd heard about them being unreliable in some cases, but it managed to hold at 99.5 degrees constantly, and we didn't even monitor the humidity, but just dropped a wet washcloth into it when we began lockdown. It's super nasty funky inside, so we need to empty and clean it out so that we can make plans for a second attempt.

5. good ole boy

good ole boy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    sharpsburg, kentucky
    congrats on your newborn chicks, i am still waiting on my new bator to be shipped:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by