So many questions lol

TheBoss_512

Chirping
Oct 12, 2019
Hello all,

I’m getting into quail soon, I have down quite a bit of reading,but still have some...dumb?...questions. I’ll list them out lol.

1) is a prophylactic deworming recommended for new birds? Is there a schedule for regular deworming?

1) I know you can keep just females,but if you do keep a male with them... Do you eat those “fertile” eggs? That you aren’t going to hatch (such a derp questiosnxbut here I am lol)

2) I’m about to construct hutches. I would like to raise for meat and eggs. Would I need to build a “grow out” hutch just for those guys to be processed...to fatten them up?

3)are there cons to a flight pen? I guess its technically “wasted space? Since they stay on the ground unless startled (I think). I would like my quail to get on the ground some for QOL,but don’t know if those pens are that just low on the ground are kind of a pain for maintenance.

4) I live in North Carolina. Summers get hot hot. I haven’t decided where to put my hutch,but is a full sun area a no no (even with an adequately built pen)?

I think that’s it. I know there’s to “1’s” but I didn’t want to go back and edit the numbers after adding a question to the top lol

thanks!!!

Hello all,

I’m getting into quail soon, I have down quite a bit of reading,but still have some...dumb?...questions. I’ll list them out lol.

1) is a prophylactic deworming recommended for new birds? Is there a schedule for regular deworming?

1) I know you can keep just females,but if you do keep a male with them... Do you eat those “fertile” eggs? That you aren’t going to hatch (such a derp questiosnxbut here I am lol)

2) I’m about to construct hutches. I would like to raise for meat and eggs. Would I need to build a “grow out” hutch just for those guys to be processed...to fatten them up?

3)are there cons to a flight pen? I guess its technically “wasted space? Since they stay on the ground unless startled (I think). I would like my quail to get on the ground some for QOL,but don’t know if those pens are that just low on the ground are kind of a pain for maintenance.

4) I live in North Carolina. Summers get hot hot. I haven’t decided where to put my hutch,but is a full sun area a no no (even with an adequately built pen)?

I think that’s it. I know there’s to “1’s” but I didn’t want to go back and edit the numbers after adding a question to the top lol

thanks!!!
My 1st question to you is, what kind of quail are you thinking about raising?Coturnix or Bobwhites.

Question #1.
Are you planning on getting grown quail or hatching from eggs for your start with quail?
If buying adult quail, I would worm them, even if the person you buy them from tells you they wormed them already. If hatching them from eggs, I'd wait until they were mature. If raised on wire, there is less chance of them being infected with worms. If raised on the ground, chances are they have worms or will have before long.
I typically worm my birds twice a year, in the fall, around October after the breeding season and cooler weather has set in. Then again before breeding season begins, February-April time frame. I also switch between Safe Guard and Ivermectin to help prevent the worms from becoming resistant to either drug.

Question #1 again.
Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. It isn't going to hurt you one bit. Some peeps just don't like the idea of eating fertile eggs.

Question #2.
If I were raising them for meat, then yes, I would house them in a grow out enclosure. The size of the enclosure will depend on how many you plan to raise. Bigger is always better, when raising gamebirds, whether for meat or 'eye candy'.

Question #3.
A flight pen is generally huge and used to condition the birds for release into the wild or conditioning the birds for release on hunting club land for sporting purposes. Unless your raising hundreds or thousands of birds, a flight pen would be a waste of land use. You'd be better off to have multiple smaller pens, if not raising that many birds at anyone time.

Question #4.
As long as you provide shade for them and have fresh, clean water available at all times, they can handle hot weather.
I'm in South Texas, and our temps are at least 100° F and hotter during summer months with high humidity. My pens are setup so they recieve morning sun and afternoon shade, both from the sheltered areas and from trees. I haven't loss a single bird to hot weather conditions.
They can also handle extreme cold weather, as long as they are dry and have protection from drafts. Gamebirds do not do well in cold, wet, muddy conditions.
Good luck and Best wishes to you in whatever you decide. And Welcome to Backyard Chickens. :celebrate

Last edited:
I know nothing about quail I'm just learning about them now! You're in good hands already though...

inCollage_20191015_214302994.jpg

Hi @TheBoss_512 ! :frow Welcome to BYC!

I typically worm my birds twice a year, in the fall, around October after the breeding season and cooler weather has set in. Then again before breeding season begins, February-April time frame. I also switch between Safe Guard and Ivomectin to help prevent the worms from becoming resistant to either drug.
Is this a practice specific to quail, @007Sean , or do you do this for chickens also?

My 1st question to you is, what kind of quail are you thinking about raising?Coturnix or Bobwhites.

Question #1.
Are you planning on getting grown quail or hatching from eggs for your start with quail?
If buying adult quail, I would worm them, even if the person you buy them from tells you they wormed them already. If hatching them from eggs, I'd wait until they were mature. If raised on wire, there is less chance of them being infected with worms. If raised on the ground, chances are they have worms or will have before long.
I typically worm my birds twice a year, in the fall, around October after the breeding season and cooler weather has set in. Then again before breeding season begins, February-April time frame. I also switch between Safe Guard and Ivomectin to help prevent the worms from becoming resistant to either drug.

Question #1 again.
Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. It isn't going to hurt you one bit. Some peeps just don't like the idea of eating fertile eggs.

Question #2.
If I were raising them for meat, then yes, I would house them in a grow out enclosure. The size of the enclosure will depend on how many you plan to raise. Bigger is always better, when raising gamebirds, whether for meat or 'eye candy'.

Question #3.
A flight pen is generally huge and used to condition the birds for release into the wild or conditioning the birds for release on hunting club land for sporting purposes. Unless your raising hundreds or thousands of birds, a flight pen would be a waste of land use. You'd be better off to have multiple smaller pens, if not raising that many birds at anyone time.

Question #4.
As long as you provide shade for them and have fresh, clean water available at all times, they can handle hot weather.
I'm in South Texas, and our temps are at least 100° F and hotter during summer months with high humidity. My pens are setup so they recieve morning sun and afternoon shade, both from the sheltered areas and from trees. I haven't loss a single bird to hot weather conditions.
They can also handle extreme cold weather, as long as they are dry and have protection from drafts. Gamebirds do not do well in cold, wet, muddy conditions.
Good luck and Best wishes to you in whatever you decide. And Welcome to Backyard Chickens. :celebrate

thanks for that detailed reply! That’s wonderful.

I’m thinking coturnix. Maybe jumbo? I I would like to raise them for meat and eggs.
I should have said “aviary” maybe not flight pen. I’m not sure of all the terminology yet. I guess they can still have good QOL and not be on the ground?
also,is a grow out pen a different style that regular housing?

If raising for both meat and eggs, I would have two seperate operations. 1 for raising the meat birds and another for raising egg layers. That's just the way I would do it....there are as many ways to raise quail as there are opinions, so find a scenario that works best for you....what 'works' for one person, may or may not work for you.

Question #1.

What do you use to worm your quail, and what dose? I'm thinking that I should probably take that precaution with my birds since they're on the ground most of the time.

What do you use to worm your quail, and what dose? I'm thinking that I should probably take that precaution with my birds since they're on the ground most of the time.
First, I would get a fecal float test done to determine if they have worms and what kind. Round worms are the most prevalent worms with quail. The proper dosage will be determined by weighing your birds and dosing based on the weight.
For example, if you have quail that weigh 100 grams, you would use .05ml or 5mg of SafeGuard, either liquid or in paste form. And if you can't weigh them, a BB size amount would be about the proper amount to use.

Wazine is also used for deworming but only works on Round worms. It doesn't kill the worms, only paralyzes the worms and they are excreted when the quail defecates.

Raising birds on wire is no guarantee that they have no worms, they can have worms even if raised on wire. HTH

Back
Top Bottom