So many questions. So little time! LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaciesCoop, Sep 16, 2016.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    This may take a while to explain. First we have 6 buff orpington hens, 1 buff orp roosters and one very bossy stubborn black mixed banty. We have had her for about 4 years. The hens are less than 10 mos old and the roo is about 1 year old. They orps started laying about 6 weeks ago and have been very busy. About 29 days ago they left 2 eggs in a laying box and "Little Bit" (the banty) decided to go broody for the 1st time ever and today one of them hatched.

Our coop is 12 by 8 with the nesting boxes on the back wall. The first row of boxes is about 3 feet off the floor and she has hatched this baby in the middle box of this first row.
    We are worried that baby will follow mama and fall out of the box. There is still another egg under her but we do not know if it's viable.

We did put a baby feeder and watered one on each side of the opening for them.
    My question is "Should we move her, the baby and the other egg to the nesting box that is on the floor. There is no ramp to get back up for the baby as the adults use a ladder. and a ramp would be much to steep.

So, Should we leave them where they are or should we put them down low and do I need to worry about the other chickens. None of them are aggressive and Wilbur is only aggressive to people bothering his girls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Jacie

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would leave them right where they are for the time being. The baby should not follow mom for a while a coupe of days any way. Then just keep an eye out for trouble let mom do what she does best raise the chick. Mom will protect the baby. Mom will find suitable place for her and baby if chick can not get up the ladder. Placing food there is fine and Mom will show chick where the food is.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My broody hen hatched a single chick six weeks ago, and I had to move them to a nest on the ground since the nest they were in was way too small as well as a couple feet off the floor. I just took the chick out of the higher nest and the broody hen followed. It was a non-event.

Most broodies do a pretty good job of warning away the other chickens from their chick. The only reason harm might come to your new chick is if your little bantam broody isn't forceful enough in protecting it. You will know pretty quickly if she's up to the job or not.

I had the room so I played it safe by having the broody and chick in a coop section of their own, but it was a matter of just a few days and the broody was ready to bring the chick out into the run. I provided a ramp so the chick could get in and out of the coop. The broody will teach the chick everything it needs to know.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Oh after thought your rooster should NEVER be aggressive to people reguarless of what you are doing the coop. He should respect you as the flock leader when you are in there. He should l ways move away from you NOT the other way around. I would use a yard stick so you have enough distance between you and him. Do not walk around him walk straight towards him and demand that he moves out of our way, and fast. By letting hm be aggressive now he will only get worse and may cause damage some day when it is to late.

5. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks for the quick reply. Our coop is made so it can be divided so we are going to go put mama and chick and the other egg into the one side of the coop in a nesting box on the floor and they will have their own run and food and water. Just until baby gets some growth on it. I just worry about it falling out of the higher box And I just hope mama goes along with the change.
    As to our Rooster, Wilbur. I haven't been around him a lot but he is not aggressive with my husband. Just me. Our last roo whose name was Henry was just the opposite. Good with me but aggressive with hubby. We had him for 10 years and he passed this last winter. He really was sweet. He and my hubby had a love/hate relationship.
    I don't use a stick or any kind. I use a water bottle squirt to the face. But I just haven't taken the time with him.

Again. thanks for the replies.
    Jacie

6. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    All went well with the move. They have their own part of the coop with their own run. Nesting box is on the floor and I feel much better about that. Hubby and I lifted egg, baby and Mama all at the same time and put them in the new nesting box. Mama settled right in without a problem. And baby finally went under her. All tucked in for the night. Whew!!

7. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh and thanks for putting a burr under my butt. Going to get the squirt bottle tomorrow and start working with Wilbur. I've just been lazy about it because of health problems I've been dealing with but you are right. Now is the time to get him tamed a little.

8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    So glad it all went well! [​IMG] Hope your health improves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by