So many questions!!! Treats?? Do I Vaccinate or not....?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Paws4fun, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Paws4fun

Paws4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    So I got my lovely ladies home on Sat safe and sound!! They have settled into their new home nicely - I am starting to see their personalities come out!
    A few questions I want to throw out there - Treats.....yes or no?!? and if yes what do you give? I don't want them to start pecking each other.....the breeder suggested I just stick to their food (cracked corn and chick starter) no treats.

Currently my chickens have never been Vaccinated - should I start....? Or just leave them alone?

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    check your local area for poultry disease and go from there as far as vaccinating, it couldn't hurt if you can afford it...also mealworms are great treats for chicks...they run round all happy when they have 1 and the others give chase..lol...its fun to watch

1 person likes this.
  3. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you!!!! Very helpful!! :)

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There is a nice chicken treat chart in the Learning Center, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens chickens will eat about anything, just give in moderation, treats should only be about 10-15% of their diet. Nice article on vaccination. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030 Mareks is usually given by the hatchery, otherwise most small flock owners don't seem to vaccinate unless they know they/ their area have had a problem in the past with something, or if they go to shows.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Vaccination for Mareks would be at hatch if the hatchery does so. Mareks is wide spread and has a high fatality rate plus, survivers will be carriers for life. The vaccine doesn't prevent Mareks however, it may lighten the effect of chicks. You may want to read up on the various Mareks threads to make your own decision.

Cracked corn can be given as a treat in moderation - chicks are like kids with candy, once they taste it they aren't interested in their balanced feed. Treats don't s top chicks from pecking (that's from boredom, bad personality or over crowding in coop or run.) - unless of course they are fighting over who gets the treats.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good info from Drumstick Diva.

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You've received some good advice already!

10. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    Thanks Everyone!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by