so many questions....

crchickens

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Blue Ridge, TX
My little ones are getting ready to fly the... brooder and go into the coop. I have noticed some things with the brooder that I would like to be able to address better in our new coop.

1. The perches get disgusting, and they are extremely hard to clean. What do you use to clean the poop off of them with?

2. I have some ideas for bedding, and was thinking of using deep bedding wood pellets, but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

3. Do you keep the food/water in the coop or out in the run?

4. Do you have an attached/fixed run or do you have a moveable one? If it is fixed, how do you clean it out? If you use a moveable one, where do the chickens lay their eggs if the need comes?

5. Do you clip your chickens wings if they free range?

As you can tell, I am a newbie and I am trying to do this right. We painted the floor of the coop, and our nesting boxes are on the outside, so I can lift the lid to get them out. I can walk into our coop to clean it, and it is in the pasture with the goats and pigs, so I can move a chicken tractor around a large area. It will have to be goat proofed, but I think once the goats get used to it, they will not bother it.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!!

1. The perches get disgusting, and they are extremely hard to clean. What do you use to clean the poop off of them with?

Soap and water, bleach is also helpful. You can rub them with Olive Oil when you are done to make it easier to clean next time

2. I have some ideas for bedding, and was thinking of using deep bedding wood pellets, but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

Wood pellets sounds fine. sand is also great for summer

3. Do you keep the food/water in the coop or out in the run?

Coop

4. Do you have an attached/fixed run or do you have a moveable one? If it is fixed, how do you clean it out? If you use a moveable one, where do the chickens lay their eggs if the need comes?

I have an attached one, it has a door so that I can go inside to clean it.

5. Do you clip your chickens wings if they free range?

if you have short fences that they may be able to fly over than yes

Back
Top Bottom