1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So many questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Belladonaslite, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Belladonaslite

Belladonaslite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Hello! I am new to keeping chickens..My husband built a fabulous coop and we got 4 hens and a rooster...does pine straw make good bedding in their boxes? Also I am concerned about the dirt floor inside the coop...Should I put sand in it?? I am about to hang a zucchini so they can play with it because it occurred to me they might be bored..... Thank you for any suggestions.....

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

I use pine shavings in my nest box and so far I like it. I use the bigger flakes so it's nice and fluffy. If you're uncomfortable with the dirt I hear sand works really well. Keeps the moisture down, and is easy to pick through.

Hanging a zucchini sounds like a good idea. You can also hang cabbage, lettuce, or even a swing. I have never used a swing, but it's out there.

What kind of climate and how much room do they have?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC!
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your flock!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I use just normal straw in my nest boxes they like to make a nice nest in it plus I get it in bulk so costs me less than shavings. Sand is an excellent base for your coop many people use it.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chickens and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

6. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Welcome! I use pine shaving in the nest box and straw on the coop floor. I also have a treat ball that hangs from the coop that I stuff with various greens for the girls.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

I've used pine wood shavings and would recommend those as bedding. They are absorbent and should be easy to find. Straw, unless it is chopped, isn't as good an insulator and won't absorb as well. It can be used successfully in the nest boxes, however.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I use wood shavings both in the nest boxes, as well as on the floor of the coop. The shavings seem to absorb moisture well, provide cushioning, and look nice. Other good bedding options include straw (especially chopped straw) and sand.

Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by