So Many Questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarrettG, Mar 15, 2015.

1. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    Hello everyone. I am new to this site and to chickens. I live in S Florida and I am seriously looking into starting a coop. I have so many questions like:Do I start with chick's or buy grown chickens, should I buy a used coop or a new one, is it best to do it for meat or eggs or both,and is it a good return on investment? I don't want to spend money on a hobby without any payback.Is the feed expensive? So many questions but it feels exciting.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.
    I personally would start with chicks, that way you can socialize them and they bond with you. Buying older chickens, you have to really watch for parasites and disease. But that's just me.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre has a great section on getting started with chickens with many articles, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

There are pros and cons to both chcks and adult birds. Chicks require more attention and care as in needing a heat lamp and to be in a brooder. Having chicks would mean you would have to wait for eggs. I wouldn't say keeping chickens is a hobby that would pay for its self fully unless you are doing it on a very large scale compared to the cost of shop bought eggs. Having chicks is a very rewarding experience as you rear them and watch them grow into adults.

Good luck on your new adventure and be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hey there! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

8. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    Thank you all. Is there code enforcement rules to having chickens? I have a wooden privacy fence in my backyard.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by