So Many Roosters!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grcrockett, Sep 6, 2016.

1. grcrockett

grcrockett Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2016
    I have 16 hens and 8 roosters. I know it's way too many roosters for the amount of hens I have and I also know that I can eat them which is fine with me. My question is, what do I do with them until I can eat them? Do I have to keep them all separate so they don't fight? Can they all be in one coop? If they have to be in separate coops what's the simplest coop I can do for them? can I just do a box frame with hardware cloth? 6 roosters are from a set of Golden sex links that are about 5 weeks old and 2 roosters are from a younger set of orpingtons that are about 1 1/2 weeks old if that makes a difference. I plan on putting the two sets together after they are a bit older. TIA!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    duplicate thread

4. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

First off Welcome to the flock!

Second, the more space you can give them, the happier they will be. Even then you can still expect the occasional squabble because they are roosters and frankly that's the way roosters are.

They also like the hens, have a pecking order.

My rooster pen is 10X20 feet with a coop. There are times I wish it was larger because of the occasional rooster fight that flares up. Usually nobody is seriously hurt and the Alpha will keep everyone in line.

5. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Well darn!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - cockerels / roosters can be kept in bachelor pads together, but as microchick says, the more space that you give them, the less likely fights are likely to break out.

CT

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! Hope you find a solution to your rooster dilemma. Good luck to you! :)

8. grcrockett

grcrockett Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm so sorry you guys, I seem to have accidentally put this post on the wrong thread! Thank you for the answers though! I posted another thread too. Hopefully I didn't put it in a bad spot as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by