So much for a beautiful day - Freak experience.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well the weather is CRAZY! I have the indoor duckies Charlotte an djack on the back porch in the kiddie pool temporarily since the weather has been warm enough for them to be outside.

Anyway - My mom calls me out and all of a sudden we get this onslaught of slanted rain - SO my mom dad and I all run out tere to start moving the ducks into the florida room when the weather goes CRAZY! The wind practically blows me over! It lifted the kiddie pool - ducks and all - three feet into the air and tips it over so we are just rushing to scoop the poor babies up and we stuff them threw the dogggie door into the florida room since the wind and rain is still threatening to kill us. We quickly move everything into florida room only to look out the windows and see the trampoline lift off the ground a little.

CHarlotte and Jack are ok - scared and nervous but a few cuddles helped and they are OK!!

I'm just hoping the trampoline in still here when we get home tonight and that couch doesnt make us work out in this. SHe did yesterdAY.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Hope things get better for you. Hug the duckies for me![​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am soo glad you duckies are ok ... Our trampoline got picked up last year but sadly it didnt survive the storm.. Good luck

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the words of caution - we cannot take weather for granted. Staying in tune with what's going on in "the big room" (out of doors) will help us all protect our critters.

One part of my foul weather plan (sorry - had to put it that way) is a large dog carrier and space in our basement. I will need to have little practice drills, I think, for me, and for the ducks. If jumping into the carrier is old news to them, it will help in case of emergency.

Good job getting everyone to safety. [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I put a cover over my clothes line to give my ducks more shade. In a freak wind storm the whole top of the clothes line came out of the shaft and landed in one of my duck pens. It was like a huge umbrella caught in the wind, But i was so surprised how far it went considering the weight of it.

Hope the weather settles again quickly for you- and glad to hear the ducks made it inside safe and sound.

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I had a day like that last summer.

It was a beautiful, sunny, 70 degree day, and all of the sudden the sky turned black and the yard went silent. We live in the middle of the woods, but there were no birds chirping, no wind blowing, NOTHING. Everything was still. I started yelling for my sisters to help me get the 10 4-week old ducklings inside - we had about half of them shoved into a plastic tote to carry them inside when there was a sudden gust of wind and it started POURING.

By the time we got the ducklings inside, they were standing in an inch of water that had accumulated in the bottom of the tote. And then I had to go back outside into the wind and the rain and the lightening to usher all the adult ducks into their pens.

Now I watch the weather religiously. If there's supposed to be a thunderstorm with heavy winds, I have the ducks penned up inside two hours before it's supposed to happen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by